Which Game at 1st you didnt like, but enjoy it now?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I used to legitimately DESPISE Undertale, primarily because of the cancerous and all-around terrible fanbase. The community surrounding a video game can really impact your view of a game entirely if it's your first encounter with said game.
It wasn't until I actually bothered to play Undertale late last year (Nintendo Switch port if you're wondering) that I experienced for myself what an incredible game it truly is, despite being made in RPG Maker.
I guess you could say that it filled me with determination.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I tried Tactics Ogre (PSP) like three or four times before it finally clicked. Before that, the game frustrated the hell out of me. Now, it's easily one of my top two or three games in general.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oblivion thought the rats and zombiez looked gross, later went on to be my favorite game.

Well for me it wasn't because they looked gross or anything but there were soooooo many menues and so many options in the beginning that I started over like 3 or 4 times and started to think the game sucks .... until I finaly got a "good" start build and went out of the Prison I finaly saw the big World and was so surprised how great this game is that I tried Morrirwind ... saldy I never got into it as there wasa waaaaay to much text plus bad grafic and whatever.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Phew...there are probably quite a few. Lemme check my top games of the last years...

-Cardinal chains. Granted, the first couple dozen levels are almost insultingly easy. But after, say level 50, things really become interesting (note: it has 501 levels in total, and loading times are in milliseconds).
-Age of rivals. was very close to removing it, also because it's so different (it's sort of a card drafting game that simulates civilization). But the second game I discovered my first combo. And then just kept playing. It's still one of my most interesting games, as it has very deep complexities while both the goal and the actions you can take are very simple (goal: the most points; actions: pick one of four or three cards...and assign damage to your cards in combat).
-Doki Doki literature club. I'll be honest: I was bored to f*** in the first play through. I literally got more tension by the idea that the cops would bust into my house for trying to seduce minor girls. But I gotta admit: that first part was a good and necessary setup for what follows.
-Hexus: historical games aren't much my thing. I'm not sure why Hexus' developers wanted Egypt to look so bland (it's like I'm looking at my school books, ffs). But the actual gameplay turned out to be okay at first, and it grew on my (it's both a block puzzle as an empire builder, with both feeding into each other)

And most of all:

-Don't starve: I actually did put this away first time I played it. Cutesy graphics, but what's the point when you don't know what to do?
The second time, I played it with a better mindset: figuring out HOW to "not starve" is the entire challenge of the game. So it was a bit of banging things against each other and some wiki'ing, but once I managed to survive a few days I got hellbent on surviving longer.

OneAngryGamer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red Dead Redemption 2, it was too slow for me. After weeks of not playing it I gave it a chance and I began to like it (after the snow prologue was over).

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one's easy for me: Advance wars, I purchased it when the First Xbox released, hated it immediately returned it to Gamestop and bought it back again within a day I have been addicted to both Advance Wars series and Fire Emblem ever since.

My first impressions on most games aren't good unless that game is spectacular.

Most recently I felt the same way about Terraria, was passe about it, now I love it.

Last edited by Redhorse,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: And what?