Which Flash cart to buy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by AitchDeeTee, Sep 24, 2008.

Sep 24, 2008

Which Flash cart to buy? by AitchDeeTee at 9:57 PM (2,418 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. AitchDeeTee
    OP

Newcomer AitchDeeTee Member

United States
    I hear Cyclo, SuperCard, and R4 are good...but which one is the best? Cyclo is really expensive compared to the other two, though. Are there any major differences that set one apart from the other?

Also, is RealHotStuff reliable? They seem to be having some sort of sale right now with a free MicroSD. Though I planned on getting a Kingston 2GB anyways.

2. Rehehelly

Member Rehehelly GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    R4 is dead now, don't buy that.

CycloDS is decent. There is a comparison chart on the forum, can't find it atm but i'll edit with the link when I do [​IMG]

3. JPdensetsu

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    Indeed, CycloDS is currently the best flasshcard now [​IMG]

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Read PharaohsVizier's in-depth guide on the CycloDS vs. Supercard to decide between the two.

Realhotstuff is indeed a very reliable seller and if they're having a free MicroSD deal right now then I definitely suggest buying from them.

5. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    I have an Acekard 2, EDGE, EZ Flash V Plus, and a SuperCard DS ONE.

To be honest, my favorite is the Acekard 2, with EDGE being the runner up. Both very good cards. You should consider them.

6. anubiss

Newcomer anubiss Member

United States
    I use R4. it's cheaper. classic one, only support 2GB. but you could buy R4-SDHC, it supports 4GB, 8GB. not sure the reliability. Just saw Depot888.com sell it. and it's cheap too $24.99

7. anubiss

Newcomer anubiss Member

United States
    wow u have so much flash cart!
    how much is the Acekard 2 ?

8. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    why not read reviews, there are plenty on this site and here http://dsdatabase.org

I did the same, and in the end went for an edge, but mainly because I couldn't find a UK source of the cycloDS, but the AK2 also looks rather good.

I never understood people complaining about the price of flash carts, its not like any cost more than a brand new DS game....

9. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    @anubiss: For price comparison, look at dealextreme.com. It's the cheapest, but very slow. If you require faster shipping, look at other stores like leetmod.com which are reliable but will be a bit more expensive.

@UltraMagnus: Unfortunately, the reviews on this site aren't kept particularly up to date and often reflect the firmware that was released when the flash cart first came out. New firmware releases often address problems of a flash cart, but the reviews aren't always updated to reflect it. So it's difficult to make an apples-to-apples comparison based on the reviews. But there is already a thread for these sorts of questions: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70252

-Bri

10. chrisstan0

Newcomer chrisstan0 Member

Australia
    well, i have had my R4 since march last year, and i have had too replace my SD though, my little cousin did something too it, but i dont see much more support out for it, so im not sure.

11. papyrus

Member papyrus GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    You can never go wrong with EDGE (cyclods clone or not) if you want cheap and good flashcart. Cyclods is better though.

12. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I never understand why people have such a big problem with clones as long as they work and are good quality. Its really quite inevitable that someone will pirate a device intended to pirate games lol [​IMG]

13. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria

14. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    I like to see the difference in flashcarts, that is why I have so many. The Acekard 2 can be found for cheap. I think around $25 USD. Well worth it. The only downside is the build quality, it isn't the best, but not bad enough that it will break when you touch it. I just would drop it on hard ground too many times.

Oh, and the only clones in my mind are the R4 clones. The EDGE team are really nice and helpful. The EDGE may have similarities but they are two totally different carts. EDGE is not a "clone", it is more based off of the CycloDS.

15. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I upgraded from R4 to SuperCard DS One, and aside from the slightly sluggish GUI it's a solid performer.

Aesthetic-wise, I actually like the look of simpler GUIs such as Cyclo or R4; those are also easier to make your own skins.

16. anubiss

Newcomer anubiss Member

United States
    Thanks mcjones92.
    I'm not sure which one to buy [​IMG] bc I saw r4-sdhc on Depot888.com, it's a new added product there. and the price is $24. It said the r4-sdhc support new generation 4G/8G MicroSDHC high speed memory card. seems better than classic r4. [​IMG]

17. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Even if I repeat myself ...
    do NOT get anything which contains "R4"!!!!

DO get one of these:
    * CycloDS Evolution
    * Supercard DS 1
    * Acekard2

(EZflash V and EDGE are also OK)

See my previous post for more details.
    You can get acekard2 and SCDS1 very cheaply from http://www.dealextreme.com
    worldwide free shipping and very good prices.
    Long shipping times.

18. Bootsum

Newcomer Bootsum Member

United States
    Well, R4 isn't dead as far as I know. But its future is uncertain because Nintendo (and other companies) are taking legal action against them. The site is still up at http://r4ds.cn/

Still I don't recommend this card because:[*]R4 doesn't support MicroSDHC[*]R4 supports up to 4GB of MicroSD. However MicroSD has max 2GB only on the market. [*]MicroSD is slow while MicroSDHC is faster. It's better to buy a MicroSDHC memory card.[*]I like to get a bigger size memory card (my personal min is 4GB). It's because you can hold more ROMs, personal files, homebrew applications without the need of swapping so often. It appears it is not uncommon that transferring files via a non-decent card reader can corrupt your data. So if you have a very small size of memory card, the risk will be higher.[*]Continuous support and future updates are uncertain[*]There are many fake R4 cards on the globe(Just a note: When a memory card says it is 4GB. It doesn't express in binary data size that the computer uses. The actual (binary) size is smaller. What a shameless marketing gimmick)

R4-SDHC is most likely a fake card. The original R4 team says no word about this new card. That means you may not be able to update the kernel since R4 team will try to brick the NDSL if you use a fake R4.

19. Blfdgfdghd

Banned Blfdgfdghd Banned

Canada
    i perfer the DSTT its simple and easy

[​IMG]

20. Bootsum

Newcomer Bootsum Member

United States
    So here is a few good candidates:
    * Supercard DS One
    * CycloDS Evolution
    * Acekard2
    * EzFlash V Plus

Supercard DS One -- My recommendation goes with Supercard DS One (SDHC version). Make sure it's DS One and it supports MicroSDHC. I will explain later.
    CycloDS Evolution -- feature-rich but very expensive. I don't think it's worth the price when we have a much cheaper alternative which is also feature-rich, namely Supercard DS One
    Acekard2 / EzFlash V Plus -- they are not feature-rich. But they have all the basic/normal features that everyone needs. If the price you get is cheaper and you don't need (or will need) the extra features offered which only a few other cards have, you may get them instead.

Why Supercard DS One?
    Read my thread for details: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107208