Which Cheat Format to Use?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by jmckutchin, Dec 1, 2008.

Dec 1, 2008

Which Cheat Format to Use? by jmckutchin at 6:24 PM (1,141 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jmckutchin
    OP

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there any benefit of using one cheat format over the other (I.e CHEAT.Dat, CHEATS.XML, or USRCHEAT.DAT) in AKAIO?

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    As far as I know, all of the formats are practically the same. It's just that the support is there [​IMG]

3. jaywilson

Member jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    .xml is slowing re building i think

4. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    Is there anything I'm doing wrong here? I go to update the cheat file (in both 1.2 and 1.3b2) and it won't rebuild the directory... anyone experience something similar?

5. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    [​IMG] With AKAIO use usrcheat.dat

6. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    I've tried that too. It's the oddest thing. When I load the cheat file included with 1.3b2, it works fine, but when I try to use the newest file, it says "No Cheats Found in Database." I even tried renaming it to exactly the same as the previous, but no dice...

I've made sure I'm doing everything right as told by the wiki. Can anyone else download the newest file and test?

7. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    check the start... patches section to make sure a cheatDB is selected. In the cheat window that says "no cheats found" hit the "select db" button and select the database.

If you're having the error, please check globalsettings.ini when the DS is off and see what is listed for the "cheatdb" string

8. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    Hi Smiths,

I did everything you asked with the same results. This is the string when I have the USERCHEAT.DAT selected that came with 1.3b2:

cheatsDB = fat0:/__aio/cheats/USRCHEAT.DAT

and this is the string with the newly downloaded file:

cheatsDB = fat0:/__aio/cheats/._11_28_08_USRCHEAT.DAT (note: the actual file doesn't include the ._ that precedes the date. Don't know if that has anything to do with it but worth mentioning. Tried manually removing the ._ and it came back with an invalid Database error.)

At any rate, it's not a huge deal because I was only updating for the sake of Chrono Trigger's anti-piracy, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention in case it affect more than just my Cart (AK2.1, 4GB ADATA SDHC).

9. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    that's odd. the string is just all weirdly wrong in all senses.

i dunno. i'll take a look. no promises, as i've downloaded the latest file in the latest build.

10. jmckutchin
    OP

United States
    Just to clarify, if by weird you mean the 11_28_08_ before the USRCHEAT, that's the date of cheat file and part of the name of the file. I've tried it both ways (with and without the date) and it didn't make any difference. If you're talking about it being weird because of something else.... then I have no clue.

No worries though, I don't use cheats, I just wanted to be up-to-date for the aforementioned CT anti-piracy, but since it's taken care of in the firmware, I'm good to go.

Thanks for the help.