Hacking Which Acekard should I spring for?

Eclipse42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First post here. Sup everyone?

Anyway, over the past day or two I've been scoping out the DS flash card scene, and reviews tend to favor the Acekard 2, because of its reliability and also its low price. Here's my dilemma: I have a DS Lite. There are two versions of the Acekard 2, the 2.1 and the 2i, the latter of which seems to be newer and designed with the DSi in mind. I have no plans to upgrade to a DSi, so are there any clear advantages for a user of an older DS model to use the 2i model as opposed to the 2.1?

Of course, I'm also open to recommendations for other flash carts as long as they are comparable in terms of features.

Thanks in advance.

Daidude

Puzzled
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably get the Acecard 2.1 unless you have friends that have a DSi and may borrow your flashcart or want to use it. You never know... I would get either 2.1 or 2i.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Right now, it almost impossible to find and buy the original AK2. Most sites carry AK2.1's. I would go with a 2i as its build is glued down while the 2.1 is clipped. The 2i also has a repairable/updatedable bootloader so if anything goes wrong or you actually do get a DSi and need to update, then there it is.

EDIT: I seemed to have gotten myself mixed up; it is the 2.1 that has better build quality than the 2i

Another World said:
the 2i has a worse build quality than the 2.1. the 2i has contact issues, shell issues, msd slot issues, and msd mounting problems. acekard has never addressed the issues by putting out a 2i v2. the same 2i has been manufactured since the very start. i've used a few that are perfect out of the box, and i've seen more than my share of 2i cards with warped shells or warped pcb cards. both causing insertion problems and contact issues. the 2.1 never had these problems.
-another world

Eclipse42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, looks like I'm going for the 2i. Thanks guys!

Quick question. It's probably a given, but the 2i does have full GBA emulation support, right?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the ak2.1 comes in glued or clipped and spring loaded or non spring loaded. acekard stopped making the clipped shells over a year ago but some resellers still have them. the 2i has a much worse build than the 2.1. the 2i has contact issues, msd slot issues, and shell issues. i have used many which are fine, but i have my share of warped 2i shells and pcbs which do not make contact. i've never had a problem with my 2.1 cards and i currently have 7 of them. if you are not going to get the dsi, you want the 2.1. i only upgraded to the 2i when i picked up my XL.

-another world

Uncout

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eclipse42 said:

Quick question. It's probably a given, but the 2i does have full GBA emulation support, right?

Yea, you should get the 2i if your going to get an acekard, but the only slot 1 flash card with GBA support is the SC DS2, you can run GBA games on a DSL and a slot 2 card with the acekard though if thats what you mean?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eclipse42 said:

Not by itself. It needs a slot-2 expansion like the EZ Flash 3in1. if you want a slot-1 GBA Emulator then I suggest switching cards to the Supercard DSTwo.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
Eclipse42 said:

Not by itself. It needs a slot-2 expansion like the EZ Flash 3in1. if you want a slot-1 GBA Emulator then I suggest switching cards to the Supercard DSTwo.
Just to let you know, that isn't an emulator. If you're using a Slot-2 expansion, it'll be running natively, meaning you won't have those issues you typically run into when using an emulator, as it'll be running as if it was on an actual GBA.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, if you decide to go for the supercard DS two than you would also be able to run SNES games and other stuff that regular flash cards can't run (or can't run well). But if all you want is to be able to play ds and gba games, than the acecard 2i (or 2.1) and slot-2 expansion would be the better choice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??