Hardware Which 3DS should I buy?

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm from Malaysia, Southeast Asia. I haven't bought a 3DS before, so I was thinking of picking up an XL sometime later. Which model should I buy? Should I get a US, EU, or Japan model?
Better get the Asian/Japanese one cause i'm sure it should have Malaysian as a language change plus you get access to ALL games released on the 3DS not just the ones "allowed" to be localized.

Nashoki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
futatsunokaanjitsu.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm from Malaysia, Southeast Asia. I haven't bought a 3DS before, so I was thinking of picking up an XL sometime later. Which model should I buy? Should I get a US, EU, or Japan model?
Better get the Asian/Japanese one cause i'm sure it should have Malaysian as a language change plus you get access to ALL games released on the 3DS not just the ones "allowed" to be localized.

Actually, English is my first language, so I'd rather have it in English than Malay.

yuuna

Hello, this is turtle.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
if you understand japanese, then go with japanese, it has far a lot more features. but the games are pricey in malaysia.
otherwise, get US version or asian version. this version is much more affordable.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country

Actually, English is my first language, so I'd rather have it in English than Malay.
Well then I guess it depends, Japanese if you want access to all games and apps etc Asian or US if you want access to the games "allowed" outside of Japan.

Either is fine, don't bother going with the UK one since we have the least games, i'm planning on selling my UK 3DS so I can get a JPN one.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy any 3DS from any region, set your store to any place in Asia, and set your language to any language you're comfortable with. It's the cartridges alone that you need to worry about.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You can buy any 3DS from any region, set your store to any place in Asia, and set your language to any language you're comfortable with. It's the cartridges alone that you need to worry about.
It depends on region too. If you use a US/ASI 3DS, you can only pick locations where it is officially sold at (meaning no European countries/Japan etc.).

@nashoki
I'd say go for a Japanese set. No racial insult intended but if you know Chinese it's a massive benefit as you can tackle the "super challenging" kanji quite easily. Katakana and Hiragana are easy to pick up too. The Japanese console has a hell lot of content compared to other regions.

Of course, you can get a US set as well if you are uncomfortable with language. However, DON'T BUY AN ASI MODEL WHICH IS PACKED BY MAXSOFT. I must emphasize this simply because Maxsoft is a shit ass company which just sucks all your money.

Go with a true US import. I'm sure many shops in Malaysia bring them in. Normally they are cheaper than Maxsoft variants too. (last time when I went to a gamestore in Penang it was RM550 - 700. They had ambassadors at RM800+)

You can also buy a 3DS from Singapore. Qisahn is able to ship 3DS consoles to Malaysia, but theirs is ASI. Or if you come to Singapore for a holiday, you can grab one.

For US consoles, Gamescore at Funan (near City Hall) is hard to beat.

For JP consoles, Funzsquare (next to Grand Hyatt at Orchard) and Gamemartz (there's one at Funan too) offer pretty good deals.

If you want an ASI set you can get them almost anywhere, but Qisahn at Orchard (near Wheelock Place) sells them at decent prices.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
FYI, the "Asian version" is just the US version 3DS with an Asian charger. So you should probably just get that one.
Asian sets are massively overpriced and the charger is just swapped to an EU adapter.

Asian sets have no club Nintendo either.

Why support Maxshit who packs and sells Asian sets when you can get a US set with a third party charger?

Kuroko Shirai

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Asian sets are massively overpriced and the charger is just swapped to an EU adapter.

Asian sets have no club Nintendo either.

Why support Maxshit who packs and sells Asian sets when you can get a US set with a third party charger?

Not sure what 3DS I got since I am from the Philippines but seeing as there is a Club Nintendo code on that package I'm assuming it's a US import (I had to use an adapter for the charger cause 110 vs the 220 that we have)... but that Kid Icarus that I bought... blargh, no codes and the outer box had the Asian countries listed though it works for a US console.

Anyway, at TC, depends on what games you are truly interested in... but if you're going for an English console, US ones are the one you should go after.

flygon12345

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
India
I live in India ...i got the USA one as i dont understand japanese but now i am stuck with only 2 games and god knows when my dad will go to the US again

Hmmm, that's what makes me think the country in your profile...
i know my profile says US but i live in India :) ..also if you see my youtube which is in my signature ..it says India :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.