Where to start with C++ or C

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FireGrey, Aug 23, 2011.

1. FireGrey
    OP

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I want to learn C++ or C, to make Wii homebrew apps and such.
    Should I start with Visual Basics?

2. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    visual basic? it's different from c and c++

3. FireGrey
    OP

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Oh I mean Visual Studio C++
    Or should i stick to gold old actionscript for flash computer games.

4. Mazor

Mazor Z80 master arch

Feb 14, 2008
    We have a topic for this. Reading the link in this post specifically would be a pretty good idea.

Visual Studio is just the program you use to write code and have it converted from human-readable code to native binary code. Which such program you start using is relatively unimportant (however using an updated one that is still supported such as Visual Studio is a very good idea).

5. luke_c

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    I just started attempting to learn some basics of C++ a few days ago actually.
    I've been using the CodeBlocks IDE, it's open-source, cross-platform and seems to be one of the most popular IDEs. It's done everything I wanted to do so far.
    If you're looking for tutorials then the 'official' one has been very informative for me. If you're more of a quick read here and there guy then you should look at buying C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata or Effective C++ by Scott Meyers.
    You may find that digging into the code of some open-source C++ projects and trying to interpret and analyse things will help. There's a lot of good examples of open-source C++ projects here.

6. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Actionscript is as far as I know much closer to javascript than it is to C or C++. Don't bother learning it if what you want to learn is C++. Learn C++.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice