Where to start with C++ or C

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FireGrey, Aug 23, 2011.

Aug 23, 2011
  1. FireGrey
    OP

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I want to learn C++ or C, to make Wii homebrew apps and such.
    Should I start with Visual Basics?

2. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    visual basic? it's different from c and c++

3. FireGrey
    OP

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Oh I mean Visual Studio C++
    Or should i stick to gold old actionscript for flash computer games.

4. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    We have a topic for this. Reading the link in this post specifically would be a pretty good idea.

Visual Studio is just the program you use to write code and have it converted from human-readable code to native binary code. Which such program you start using is relatively unimportant (however using an updated one that is still supported such as Visual Studio is a very good idea).

5. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    I just started attempting to learn some basics of C++ a few days ago actually.
    I've been using the CodeBlocks IDE, it's open-source, cross-platform and seems to be one of the most popular IDEs. It's done everything I wanted to do so far.
    If you're looking for tutorials then the 'official' one has been very informative for me. If you're more of a quick read here and there guy then you should look at buying C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata or Effective C++ by Scott Meyers.
    You may find that digging into the code of some open-source C++ projects and trying to interpret and analyse things will help. There's a lot of good examples of open-source C++ projects here.

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Actionscript is as far as I know much closer to javascript than it is to C or C++. Don't bother learning it if what you want to learn is C++. Learn C++.