Hacking Where to get DSi full replacement shells?

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
When I bought mine I had to buy it light blue because I didn't want a black one and the white one hadn't been released yet. I would really like changing it's color.
Where can I buy a new, durable case with free shipping?

Also, I found on dealextreme a Kingdom Hearts case. Does anyone know if it's a high quality one? Thanks in advance.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DX ones I think are OEM (cases from DSi that were stripped to be sold as separate parts)

DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT buy any EYE CANDY DSI SHELL. they are CRAP. Mine was supposed to be chrome and I got a clear one (well that's console source's fault) and the clear one got cracks on day 2 of use. The shell doesn't even assemble together correctly (gaps and bent plastic)

I'm gonna try one of the DX ones soon

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Wish I had seen that last post earlier… I bought an Eye Candy DSI shell on eBay and it looks great but there are gaps, and I messed up putting the DSi back together and the screens are messed up. I should never have done any of that in the first place.

I found a place that says they'll fix it for me, but it's $75. I don't want to buy a new DSi because I'd lose all my DSiWare games…
frown.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I have the EXACT same problem! I would recommend looking around on DX and other trusted sites (although DX isn't that trusted). XCM has replacement shells in white, so you can google it and find it easily.

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
I had ordered an Eye Candy shell before I read of all the problems. I didn't get the crystal / see through one though, I ordered the 'smooth black' one. It has some kind of 'coating' on the exterior that feels just slightly like rubber, gives a good solid grip.

However as others have noted, it came with no screws or hardware, and the fit was somewhat, shall we say, relaxed.

My DSi was originally pink and my intention was to mix-n-match the original parts with the Eye Candy parts. The Eye Candy parts did not fit well with the originals, so I had to do some modifications, especially to the buttons. In the end I got it together and got the 'look' I wanted, although it is still a bit creaky and there are some slight gaps here and there.

dsi-back-525x388.jpg

By comparison, I bought a transparent black shell off eBay for my DS Lite and it came with all hardware and everything, went together perfectly, and cost a fraction of what I paid for the Eye Candy shell.

Cheers!

-Atashi

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atashi said:
I had ordered an Eye Candy shell before I read of all the problems. I didn't get the crystal / see through one though, I ordered the 'smooth black' one. It has some kind of 'coating' on the exterior that feels just slightly like rubber, gives a good solid grip.

However as others have noted, it came with no screws or hardware, and the fit was somewhat, shall we say, relaxed.

My DSi was originally pink and my intention was to mix-n-match the original parts with the Eye Candy parts. The Eye Candy parts did not fit well with the originals, so I had to do some modifications, especially to the buttons. In the end I got it together and got the 'look' I wanted, although it is still a bit creaky and there are some slight gaps here and there.

dsi-back-525x388.jpg

By comparison, I bought a transparent black shell off eBay for my DS Lite and it came with all hardware and everything, went together perfectly, and cost a fraction of what I paid for the Eye Candy shell.

Cheers!

-Atashi
Man, I wish I had the guts to open up my DSi. I don't want to lose the 180 bucks that I spent for it... I'm a wuss.

On a lighter note, this is my 200th post! Yay!

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CompC said:
Wish I had seen that last post earlier… I bought an Eye Candy DSI shell on eBay and it looks great but there are gaps, and I messed up putting the DSi back together and the screens are messed up. I should never have done any of that in the first place.

I found a place that says they'll fix it for me, but it's $75. I don't want to buy a new DSi because I'd lose all my DSiWare games…
frown.gif

Get new screens on DX or any other supplier it'll be cheaper

Slyakin said:
Man, I have the EXACT same problem! I would recommend looking around on DX and other trusted sites (although DX isn't that trusted). XCM has replacement shells in white, so you can google it and find it easily.

DX is trusted (bought many things from them only had one problem and it got resolved)

QUOTE(Slyakin @ Feb 21 2010, 05:44 PM)
Man, I wish I had the guts to open up my DSi. I don't want to lose the 180 bucks that I spent for it... I'm a wuss.

On a lighter note, this is my 200th post! Yay!

If you do it right nothing will show on your DSi that you ever opened (Unless you change the shell, cuz i'm talking about replacing screens ect....)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?