Hacking Where do I start?

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a 3DS that I'd like a flashcart for. I've never owned a flashcart for a DS system before, so this is new to me.

I'm about to pick one up from this site, unless anyone else has other recommendations: http://www.nds-card.com/

What's the latest and greatest card to get so far? From what I've read, it seems there's competition between Acekard 2i and R4i Gold 3DS. I understand no cards can run 3DS software yet, but for everything else, is there one card that can do things the other can't, or is there a popular vote for one card versus the other that I'm missing?

I have a 32gb Sandisk micro SDHC card, I'm assuming this will work in either, correct?

And lastly, how often does the cart get blocked out by the latest firmware update, and how long does it take for a workaround to come out? And I don't have to get a new card, I can just update that card for the firmware, correct? I'm afraid of getting caught in a situation like PS3, where as soon as a workaround is found to get online or use the latest features with the newest firmware, it gets patched, so it's a constant cat-and-mouse chase.

Reactions: 1 person

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want no waiting between updates and a high quality card overall go for the DSTWO. More expensive but the best there is.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSTWO looks enticing. $40 isn't too bad, but I won't be able to get it right away. I'd rather wait a bit and get that card though since it looks decent. Assuming the software still works, I can just dump my saves from my legit carts once I get a DSTWO and use those saves with backed up games on the DSTWO? So I don't need to stop all gameplay until I get a flashcart knowing I'll have to start over on EVERYTHING?

Also, when (if) we ever get 3DS game support, will we most likely have to buy a whole new card, or is it just too early to tell at this point?

LurkerA

㊣New3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will recommend you to go for R4i Gold 3DS(r4ids.cn) just for 3 simple reasons: 1. The fastest updating and the best quality 2. Wood firmware supported. 3. Cheaper price..

Fudge

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saves should work between retail carts. If not you can convert them to a proper format (I'm not sure so someone please correct me if I'm a fuckstick)
Very very unlikely, it will probably be it's own separate hack without a flashcart, although theroetically you might be able to use it as a passthrough of sorts to load 3DS roms from a flashcart once the 3DS is hacked.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If or when the 3DS is hacked, it's more than likely that current flashcards won't work with 3DS roms.
I have not actually used saves between retail games and flashcards, so I can't answer that.
Also the DSTwo is a good flashcard, but it's really not the best in my option. I have used and owned the DSTwo since it's release and really find it a bit of a let down. (This is more of a personal option)
I suggest going the R4i Gold, it has the fastest updates and the best support.

Fudge

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If or when the 3DS is hacked, it's more than likely that current flashcards won't work with 3DS roms.
I have not actually used saves between retail games and flashcards, so I can't answer that.
Also the DSTwo is a good flashcard, but it's really not the best in my option. I have used and owned the DSTwo since it's release and really find it a bit of a let down.
I suggest going the R4i Gold, it has the fastest updates and the best support.
Really?? Even with this said, I think in the long run the DSTWO will be the best, what do you mean by let down?? It has a good GBA emulator, a bad SNES one, real time saving, slow down, bunch of other exclusive apps, etc. Not to mention the ability to update even if the card goes and errors out.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and ordered an R4i Gold, it's cheap enough, so no biggie if it's not as good as DSTWO. Most of the features I want out of DSTWO seem to be included with R4i Gold. Thanks for the help everyone.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I would go with what everyone else is saying and go for the R4i Gold just because it is compatible with Wood R4. Wood R4 is very similar if not identical to the AKAIO firmware. I have been using the AKAIO firmware for a long time and I even use the Wood R4 firmware for my old R4 DS original flashcard. Wood R4 is updated by the community and is not updated by the flashcard makers, that means if the cardmaker goes out of business, your card does not become obsolete and you would not need to buy another flashcard.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Wood firmware replaces the Nintendo firmware, even when the flashcart is not inserted? Does it change how the firmware looks or does it simply unlock more features?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land