HazeyTheLazy

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like input on where modchips started...

-I think it started on the Sega Saturn, not sure though...

-But, they are a miracle on a silicone board!

-HaZeY

Shinster

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually early neanderthals installed modchips on dinosaurs so they can tame and ride them. So the cartoon 'Dino Riders' were based on actual history (or pre-history).

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Most likely Playstation. It was, and remains, far easier to mod than Saturn. Despite being more popular. For one thing, newer and older Saturn systems had differences in how they were modded. It's very hard to find chips for the old type.

webyugioh

Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Source: Wikipedia

QUOTE said:
Cartridge based console systems did not have modchips produced for them. They usually implemented copy protection and regional lockout with game cartridges, both on physical and hardware level. Converters or passthrough devices have been used to circumvent the restrictions, later on flash memory cartridges to copy game media became available. Early in the transition from solid-state to optical media, CD based console systems did not have regional market segmentation or copy protection measures due to the rarity of user-writeable media at the time.

Modchips started to surface with the PlayStation system, due to its popularity and the increasing availability and affordability of CD writers. At the time, a modchips' sole purpose was to allow the use of imported and copied game media.

Today, modchips are available for practically every current console system, often in a great number of variations. In addition to circumventing regional lockout and copy protection mechanisms, modern modchips may introduce more sophisticated modifications to the system, such as allowing the use of user-created software (homebrew), expanding the hardware capabilities of its host system, or even installing an alternative operating system to completely repurpose the host system (e.g. for use as a Home theater PC).

So there is what i found.

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The PSone was the first to recieve a "proper" modchip. The Snes and Nes has backup units much like the gameboy did. Thats where my adventures into flashcarts first began! Gool ol days of flashing with the parallel port on windows 9x
biggrin.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of PS modchips, I ordered one from a website for shits and giggles and put it into my old Playstation without a problem. Wish I learnt soldering skills years and years ago but I suppose the big problem is trying to obtain the Playstation ISOs back then when the only thing available was dial up or actually buying pirate games.

paOol

Trophies
XP
Country
Speaking of PS modchips, I ordered one from a website for shits and giggles and put it into my old Playstation without a problem. Wish I learnt soldering skills years and years ago but I suppose the big problem is trying to obtain the Playstation ISOs back then when the only thing available was dial up or actually buying pirate games.

thats what blockbuster + cdwriter was for

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1