Hardware Wireless link cable mod for gba

Doom__420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically the idea is for a mod to replace the link cable with wifi arduino board. And use that to emulate a physical cable. Maybe have a tactile switch for pairing. Any ideas or suggestions on where to get started would be helpful.

Reactions: zfreeman

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
images
Sorry, but your idea got stolen 20 years ago.

Doom__420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically the idea is for a mod to replace the link cable with wifi arduino board. And use that to emulate a physical cable. Maybe have a tactile switch for pairing. Any ideas or suggestions on where to get started would be hel

I aware of the bulky wireless transmitter. I would like something smaller that would fit inside of a gba shell.

Reactions: x65943

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I aware of the bulky wireless transmitter. I would like something smaller that would fit inside of a gba shell.
Why would an Arduino be small enough to fit in the shell?

Maybe... an antenna or something closer to Bluetooth module. But an Arduino, as far as I know has roughly the same size as a GBA mobo.

Doom__420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically the issue I'm running into is Documentation on how the link cable port works. Not to savvy when it comes to programming. But good with hardware mods. So I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of how the Espo1 wifi module works and if it could emulate a link cables function.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
for reference they made this at one pointacts as a link cable and works on most games but not pokemon funnily enough

Reactions: Doom__420

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Then Wi-Fi might be ideal for your needs. I'm not sure what the latency or ranges of these would be, but I can't imagine they'd be terrible in a normal table-sitting envoronment.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
honestly after looking at the Pico w im thinking it's a better pick due to both wifi and Bluetooth support
The original Pi Pico also got many smaller, more compact versions of the board made, I'm curious if the W got the same treatment (or will) to save on internal mounting space.

Doom__420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for reference they made this at one pointacts as a link cable and works on most games but not pokemon funnily enough

After watching the video I may buy one to disassemble. It at least is a good starting point thanks

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to burst your bubble but the reason why no one did this yet is because link cable communication requires extremely low latency. Not even USB is fast enough. The best you can really do is emulate the wireless adapter. However i don't think you can get much smaller than the original wireless adapter. That being said it may work with certain games as GBARunner2 proved but the majority of games don't work correctly or have frequent connection issues.

The problem is that wireless adds some unavoidable latency and games expect pretty much instant responses. If you want to connect to other GBAs over the internet not even the wireless adapter may work due to the high latency.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that wireless adds some unavoidable latency and games expect pretty much instant responses. If you want to connect to other GBAs over the internet not even the wireless adapter may work due to the high latency.
Sounds like the GBA needs to learn some MF patience. :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4