When creating a WBFS partition, does it format the Drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dgwillia, Apr 23, 2010.

1. dgwillia
    OP

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Long story short, i was lazy and just went with the FAT32 route instead of creating a WBFS partition, now i'd rather use some of the other USB Loaders and want to switch, but dont want to do this if i have to end up re-downloading/re-installing all of the ISO's i already have in my Hard Drive.

I still have like 200+ Gigs left of free space

2. middeloni

Newcomer middeloni Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Formatting to wbfs will erase all content on the partition, so you'll need to put back your games.

3. dgwillia
    OP

United States
    Dammit [​IMG], would take me 3+ days to redownload everything, and my computer just isnt big enough to hold 60 gigs worth of games

Even if i just made a WBFS partition and kept like half of the drive FAT32, it'd still format?

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Which of those other USB loaders do you want to use? The well known ones (CFG, GX, wiiflow, uloader) can all use FAT32, and there is no real advantage in using WBFS.

But to answer your question: mostly yes. There are formatting programs which allow you to split a partition without losing data (EASEUS partition manager MAY do it...I'm not sure), but even those highly recommend at least to backup the data before trying. Either way: after the drive is split into two partitions, you can safely reformat one part without messing with the other part.

5. dgwillia
    OP

United States
    From what i tried personally, seems like Configurable USB Loader is the only one (Or the best) that allows you to use FAT without having to have a WBFS Partition. GX needs a WBFS partition, and im pretty sure WiiFlow was the same (Wouldnt load my wbfs folder with all my games in it at all)

I just wanted to switch to something that had better compatability. (Mainly for Monster Hunter, seeing as i keep freezing whenever i try to load a 4 Player Quest)

Bah whatver, i managed to free up 30 Gigs of space, gonna back of all of my smaller games, atleast if something goes wrong ill only have to download 25 Gigs worth of stuff again