Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Prophet said:
That urge to convert people sounds a lot like zealotry, something I'd think atheist would try to avoid. I just feel that religious individuals should be able to hold a conversation online with other religious people without atheist cropping up and steering the conversation into an unproductive debate, that frankly, has been argued ad nauseam. We get it, atheists don't believe in god and would prefer no one else did. Nonetheless, every man is sovereign over his own spirit and as such, free to embrace any faith he so chooses. Go your way and allow others to go their own. You may imagine yourself to be some enlightening force, tasked with revealing the truth to the sheepish God-folk; but I assure you, you are not. As much as it may pain you to hear this, the atheist is superior in no respect to the theist and vice versa. As such, neither is qualified to guide the other. Live and let live.
That's not true at all. Most could care less what you believe, as long as you're not stuffing it down people's throats. It's the really outspoken and loud ones that ruin it for the rest of us. And before you say anything they have those sorts of people in every religion.

I couldn't agree more. Whether theist or atheist, the fanatics ruin everything.

QUOTE(antwill @ Apr 9 2011, 11:23 PM)
Also: serious question here guys; why is scientology made fun of, but mormonism isn't? They're both as ridiculous as each other. Yet for some reason it seems to be the cool thing to mock people who believe in alien spirits, but when a religion is started by a con-man with equally ridiculous claims it's not?

That question sounds awfully "outspoken and loud" to me.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
machomuu said:
antwill said:
That's not true at all. Most could care less what you believe, as long as you're not stuffing it down people's throats. It's the really outspoken and loud ones that ruin it for the rest of us. And before you say anything they have those sorts of people in every religion.
Also: serious question here guys; why is scientology made fun of, but mormonism isn't? They're both as ridiculous as each other. Yet for some reason it seems to be the cool thing to mock people who believe in alien spirits, but when a religion is started by a con-man with equally ridiculous claims it's not?
Off topic: Did you mean "couldn't care less"? I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you did then it changes the meaning of the whole statement.
Yes I did, thanks for picking up on that, I only just woke up lol. I'll go edit my post so as to not confuse anyone else reading this thread.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Tanas said:
I'm not asking you to refute them, I'm asking you to let me know what some of these proven scientific facts are.

Edit: And you're also claiming that you could easily refute everything in the link when you have clearly shown your ignorance of what is actually written in the bible.

Here is a quote from you earlier, which proves my point.
"God uses the evil of humans so that we teach each other a lesson and to judge who is a good person and who isn't. God doesn't directly murder or give the order to murder. He watches us foolishly commit murder, even though he told us not to do it."

So if this is your idea of refuting, I'd give up if I were you.
I was never talking about the Bible. And it wasn't refuting anything.
I am refuting all what the site you linked to has on it. It isn't very hard since most of it is bull. By refuting fake claims, I also explain these scientific facts.

Objection 1: They weren't meant to educate our specie, but to provide proof to future generations after these facts were discovered.

Objection 2: As already stated, they weren't meant to educate us faster, so they couldn't be too precise as to make us discover things we would only have discovered naturally much later.

Objection 3: Allah didn't want to communicate the facts to us, he wanted people who already knew them to read the Qur'an to provide further proof of the divine origin of the Qur'an.

1. Big Bang
The Heaven being talked about here is meant to be understood as Space. It means that everything was mixed and united as one. There wasn't space and there wasn't matter, it was all as one. All the talk about the invisible support is metaphorical and isn't meant to be taken literally.

2. Expanding Universe
In the original Arabic, this verse is meant as And We have levelled, smoothen the Earth.
Again, when talking about the Heaven, it is a reference to Space and the Universe. In several translations it does say that there is expansion of the heavens. The original Arabic actually means that the heavens are expending.

3. Gas
The verse is talking about when most of the Universe was gaseous. That gas concentrated and formed stars after a certain density was reached. And then planets were formed. As for the part about chronological order, the Arabic word used for “days” is actually meant to be interpreted as “undetermined period of time” and if re-read the verse that way, it makes perfect sense. It isn't placed chronologically.

4. Embriology
Product of wet Earth: Either a metaphor that means something malleable or a reference to the fact we contain a large part of earth materials in us(iron, sodium, etc). The Qur'an stipulates that sperm is produced in the abdomen(between the ribs and the back) which is true.
Hadith=/= religious scripture and have nothing to do in the debate.
Again, the Qur'an doesn't mention the eggs of the women because it isn't meant to educate us. It stays a little vague.

5. Sun setting
The man saw The Sun set in the direction of a muddy spot. It is a figure of speech. It isn't literal.
The next part is just bullshit. The Qur'an refers to a person's time, in that person's location. It's simple really. If you live in the Arctic circle and you don't know when to make your prayers because the Sun is always there, then just base your prayer times on another country's times.

I could go on but I am feeling tired.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prophet said:
antwill said:
Prophet said:
That urge to convert people sounds a lot like zealotry, something I'd think atheist would try to avoid. I just feel that religious individuals should be able to hold a conversation online with other religious people without atheist cropping up and steering the conversation into an unproductive debate, that frankly, has been argued ad nauseam. We get it, atheists don't believe in god and would prefer no one else did. Nonetheless, every man is sovereign over his own spirit and as such, free to embrace any faith he so chooses. Go your way and allow others to go their own. You may imagine yourself to be some enlightening force, tasked with revealing the truth to the sheepish God-folk; but I assure you, you are not. As much as it may pain you to hear this, the atheist is superior in no respect to the theist and vice versa. As such, neither is qualified to guide the other. Live and let live.

Well that's just you. I was merely responding to someones post a few pages back about laughing at a scientologist. And no it's not outspoken or loud either. If you look at it from a logical point of view and just look at the facts of how it started. Also, answer my question please, what is your take on why one is accepted to be mocked openly but the other not?

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Prophet said:
antwill said:
Prophet said:

Well that's just you. I was merely responding to someones post a few pages back about laughing at a scientologist. And no it's not outspoken or loud either. If you look at it from a logical point of view and just look at the facts of how it started. Also, answer my question please, what is your take on why one is accepted to be mocked openly but the other not?

I'd answer your question if I could, but I'm not a Mormon or a Scientologist so I don't spend time researching, critiquing or thinking about the two perspective faiths. I tend to just mind my own business. I find that to be the most productive way to spend my time; more people should try it.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
I'd answer your question if I could, but I'm not a Mormon or a Scientologist so I don't spend time researching, critiquing or thinking about the two perspective faiths. I tend to just mind my own business. I find that to be the most productive way to spend my time; more people should try it.
And when a religious person votes away your rights because their holy book tells them to will you still "mind your own business"?

Sheith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Would it be considered ridiculous if I said I just recently converted to Haruhiism?
Not trying to troll, just being honest.
wink.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheith said:
...Would it be considered ridiculous if I said I just recently converted to Haruhiism?
Not trying to troll, just being honest.
wink.gif
Well then who is controlling the Earth and its events? Can't be Haruhi since she's not real.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
Prophet said:
And when a religious person votes away your rights because their holy book tells them to will you still "mind your own business"?

You're worried about religion removing your rights? Government already does that by its self.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thesolcity said:
Blood Fetish said:
Prophet said:

You're worried about religion removing your rights? Government already does that by its self.
Now ask yourself, how many of them are religious and are doing it based on their own personal beliefs?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Thesolcity said:
Blood Fetish said:
Prophet said:

Now ask yourself, how many of them are religious and are doing it based on their own personal beliefs?
Many moral issues are held jointly by many USA inhabitants. In fact, in both parties, there are probably close to equal numbers of religious people.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
Prophet said:

Technically since they would be infringing upon my rights, in attending to this issue I would still be working within the sphere of "my business." Nonetheless, I take your point to be that some institutions are too dangerous to ignore. Here you have a point. However, I would argue that religious institutes are not particularly dangerous. In fact they are relatively benign in the scheme of things. We live in a world where greed and indifference run rampant. I'll start worrying about the dangers of religious institutes when Mormonism becomes the prominent reason that over 16000 children die of hunger and malnutrition every day. Or when a link is established between Scientology and the 27 million people across the globe who are at this very moment trapped in slavery.

In short, your invented religious "boogie-man" that's gunning for my rights, doesn't scare me; I recognize the truth -- Religion isn't the monster, Man is.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
In short, your invented religious "boogie-man" that's gunning for my rights, doesn't scare me; I recognize the truth -- Religion isn't the monster, Man is.
You are correct, and modern religion was invented to control man.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paulieo said:
I don't really have a religion, but if I had to pick I would be a new thought practitioner.

I don't quite understand. Can you perhaps expand on this label with a definition of what you think, and why you think it?

Paulieo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
paulschembri.com.au
XP
Country
Australia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom