Hardware Whats your internet speed?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1346157087.png

My internet is shit, but I can't complain because I'm using my neighbor's wifi (with permission).
My download speed is 40 kb/s (actual download speed)

I'm out of the loop about internet prices, but how expensive is it to set up/purchase a good service? I think ATT has a plan that's $15 a month with no contract, internet only.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alex_32571 said:
1346157087.png

My internet is shit, but I can't complain because I'm using my neighbor's wifi (with permission).
My download speed is 40 kb/s (actual download speed)

I'm out of the loop about internet prices, but how expensive is it to set up/purchase a good service? I think ATT has a plan that's $15 a month with no contract, internet only.
Believe me, US is one of those countries that has expensive broadband service. Even developed countries like Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, etc offer FAR cheaper services at comparable speeds.

$15.00 per month for 1 year with advertised 768kbps down WITH phone service from at&t (Wet DSL). After one year it is $20 per month.
$19.95 per month for 1 year with advertised 768kbps down WITHOUT phone service from at&t (Dry DSL). After one year it is $30 per month.

Keep in mind you also need to invest into getting a DSL modem/gateway, which is a one-time cost of $50~100.

Noticed how I said "advertised"? DSL and Cable (to some extent, not as much compared to DSL) broadband are sensitive to the distance between your home and their central office. Further it is the slower the speed gets.

I would avoid satellite internet at all cost. Not only they are more expensive to DSL/Cable, they are also unreliable with high latency (ping) time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, that was fun to watch. +1