What's wrong with this DS Lite?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by BlueStar, Jun 12, 2009.

Jun 12, 2009
  1. BlueStar
    OP

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    A friend of mine has just had his DS Lite die on him after about 5 months of ownership (He was using it with a CycloDS, but I'm sure it's nothing to do with that). Apparently it turns on, the light goes green and stays green but there's just nothing. Two black screens, no sound, nada (And that's with the Cyclo, original game or empty slot). He can still charge it as usual.. He's contacted Nintendo but because it's a colbalt blue and black DS which isn't available in this region they say it's not covered by warranty so I guess there's nothing to lose by cracking it open and replacing or checking the connections of whichever part is borked if anyone can give me an idea as to what's wrong with it based on the symptoms.

2. supermodchips

Member supermodchips GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    From what it sounds like, the screen connectors could be faulty or just dislodged or something. Check the tutorial I posted earlier on today. This should help opening it up to find the issue.

3. BlueStar
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks, I'll check it out

4. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Nope - the symptoms you are describing are the same as if the wifi block has been removed from its socket, screens usually stop the DS coming on (green light flashes).

Supermodchips - just be aware how expensive they are

DSL Touch Screen (converted to USD) Supermodchips $16.28 + shipping
    dealextreme.com $2.74 inc FREE shipping

As with most of the parts, the price differences are huge - however you will wait 3 weeks for dealextreme!

5. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Your friend could by lying to you and possibly ran Flashme on the Cyclo, and bricked the DS.

I would open it up, and firstly check the F1 fuse near the Slot 1. Google F1 if you need too. If it looks fine, as in no burnt marks or whatever, then my second thought would be to replace the BIOS with another one from a working unit, (if you have a DS, then use yours, it doesn't harm it), and then try turning the system on. If it turns on, then run Flashme from the Cyclo, and when the program boots up, replace the working BIOS with the non-working one, and flash away.

I'm hoping you already knew how to unbrick a BIOS, but I just said that to help others, (and possibly you too). Good luck!

6. supermodchips

Member supermodchips GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    But I am aware of how expenisve they are. I sell them on my site.

7. BlueStar
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well he took it apart, put it back together again and as if by magic it works [​IMG]