Hacking What's the difference between Cyclowiz v1 and v2?

pinesal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm at a online retailer getting ready to buy it but there are two chips v1 and v2. You'd think I'd just buy the latest one right? Well in the description for the v1 chip is says it can be upgrated to v2 or v3 and it's $10 less than the v2 chip. So will it be identicle after the upgrade? How would I upgrade it anyway?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a D2B chip in your Wii (approximately purchased after February 1) the V1 chip will not work with it. You'll need to upgrade the chip with your PC, which will require you to build what essentially comes to be programming hardware to attach to your computers Serial port (usb to serial converter probably won't work for this).

If your Wii is D2A or DMS you're fine with getting a V1 chip, it will work right out of the box, and can be upgraded in your Wii if you do the more complicated install with the switches and stuff. They will be identical after the upgrade.

Now that you can flash the Cyclowiz with the open source code though I would think retailers would invest in building that PC upgrade hardware to flash the Cyclowiz so it works on D2B as well.

pinesal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my Wii at midnight the morning it was launched so I must have the old board.

I'm all for easy installs. Is the v2 easier to install or do they both have the switch at other extra steps neede for updating?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got my Wii at midnight the morning it was launched so I must have the old board.

I'm all for easy installs. Is the v2 easier to install or do they both have the switch at other extra steps neede for updating?

You have a DMS chipset if I'm not mistaken, so you're free to use V1 if you want. They are the same physical hardware, just different code on the chip, so installation is exactly the same. If you don't care about updating it's just five connections, otherwise I'm not sure off the top of my head what else is required but I know you need to install a switch somewhere as well as some extra points if you ever want to use the DVD update feature. Honestly though, if all you care about is playing backups, you shouldn't need to update even a V1 Cyclowiz with your machine.

PuddingSenator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if you use the switch option, you can upgrade even a v1 Cyclowiz via DVD?

Right. However, to update the Cyclowiz you need to have the Cyclowiz working in the first place so that the burnt upgrade DVD can be read by your Wii. If you have a D2B chipset, the v1 firmware for Cyclowiz will not work on your Wii, therefore, your Wii won't be able to read the upgrade disc and you won't be able to upgrade. That is why the newer batches of Cyclowiz are sent out with the v2 firmware already flashed onto them. That's the only difference, however.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, if you use the switch option, you can upgrade even a v1 Cyclowiz via DVD?

Right. However, to update the Cyclowiz you need to have the Cyclowiz working in the first place so that the burnt upgrade DVD can be read by your Wii. If you have a D2B chipset, the v1 firmware for Cyclowiz will not work on your Wii, therefore, your Wii won't be able to read the upgrade disc and you won't be able to upgrade. That is why the newer batches of Cyclowiz are sent out with the v2 firmware already flashed onto them. That's the only difference, however.
You can update if you use the PC side application. The easiest way by far then is an external install (which I find easier anyway, but that's just me I guess
tongue.gif
).

http://wii.scorpei.com/Guides_Cyclowiz_update.html

[edit]just saw this was also said by Hooya
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1