Whats happen to the DS Release Groups

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by LUGiA, Oct 5, 2009.

Oct 5, 2009
  1. LUGiA
    OP

Member LUGiA GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Bahamut seem to be the only active team right now

XPA last game release was kingdom harts and that was ages ago if u look aty the relased games after it..

I though Wizard of Ox would of been released by now

Who are your top 3 release Groups mine are:

1) XPA
    2) BAHAMUT (they love to release some S*** Games)
    3) OneUp

2. Lucky Star

Banned Lucky Star Banned

Japan
    XPA
    Trash-man
    BAHAMUT

3. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    You seriously have nothing better to do than to wait for an average RP with a below average battle system? Poppycock!

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I think most release groups have given up on the DS because of the unending torrent of sissy crap shovelware noob flower-and-bunny garbage that gets released on a constant basis, while many obvious no-brainer type games (2D Metroid, Tekken, Street Fighter, F-Zero, etc.) never even get made for the system. They've probably went on to better systems with a better balance between decent games and shovelware and have since tossed their DS's in the trash and washed their hands of it.

Can't say I'd blame them much if that were actually true. The DS has been a severe disappointment to me. If it wasn't for flashcarts and some decent homebrew....and the extremely rare decent retail game (that I can DL for free), I'd have dumped off the DS long ago.

5. iNFiNiTY

Member iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Because Wizard of 'Ox' is not a priority game it won't be dumped quickly, pretty simple isn't it.

6. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Ouch Rayder. But I agree. The DS' saving grace, as far as I'm concerned, was the flashcard. No way no how would I have paid money for all the games I've played. That is, if they had ever even been made available in my glorious shithole of a country.

unending torrent of sissy crap shovelware noob flower-and-bunny garbage that gets released on a constant basis
    Definitely my biggest pet peeve with the system.

while many obvious no-brainer type games (2D Metroid, Tekken, Street Fighter, F-Zero, etc.) never even get made for the system.
    Which is horrible. The GBA had 2 proper metroid games, the DS had none. (FPS and Pinball are not proper.)

They've probably went on to better systems with a better balance between decent games and shovelware and have since tossed their DS's in the trash and washed their hands of it.
    Not like the PSP has that many good games. But at least it can do proper 3D, and has better homebrew.

If it wasn't for flashcarts and some decent homebrew....and the extremely rare decent retail game (that I can DL for free), I'd have dumped off the DS long ago.
    Ease of piracy was most definitely the DS' saving grace. The homebrew was shit though. I used Moonshell, and it was nice, but everything else was shitty.
    Nes emulator was okay-ish. Gba emulation had you jumping through hoops, but it worked. Snes emulation was non-existant (snemulds sucks, sorry).

Meh. At least the DS had some gems. TWEWY, Etrian, Lunar Knights. I liked those four a lot. Etrian 2 alone justified my having a DS, so all's well in the end.

I am washing my hands of nintendo though. They want to step away from gamers and focus on casual gaming? Fine. I'll get my fix of real games elsewhere. They can keep the Wii and DSi.

7. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I love the random IND groups that make crappy NFOs [​IMG]

8. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    Here he is!

The wizard of ox!!!!

[​IMG]

and yes... that WILL now become my avatar!

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just thought I would appear to say JDandy there is far far more to DS homebrew than multimedia and emulation- in terms of new and original stuff the DS is probably better than any other console ever made (save perhaps the C64 or something that more or less was built on it).

I know it is now normally the time to rattle off a list of games but instead go to the gaming news section on the portal and look at the various "GBAtemp recommends: Homebrew" posts, anything but definitive but a solid list of games to start with.

10. kazzar

Newcomer kazzar Member

United Kingdom
    you stole my username from gbatmw.net you tosser

11. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Sorry FAST6191, but those never really appealed to me (with the exception of Powder). In the end it's all about personal preferences and such, and I've got peculiar tastes. [​IMG]

12. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    i like xneobia

13. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Don't you think it's more of a third party developers' fault? Nintendo still makes "real" games. EA and the like focus on better-selling shovelware. And as long as shovelware keeps selling better than more serious titles, that's all we'll ever see on the DS.

On topic, release groups are retiring member by member, and nobody's taking their place.

14. azure0wind

Member azure0wind 7 years flew so fast.

Indonesia
    same as ifish Xenophobia [​IMG]

15. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I liked the groups that released all of the games I wanted on the interwebs.

16. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why is it that every time we get a slow week someone comes in and says how every DS game sucks? There's been a flood of good games just recently. Scribblenauts, Kingdom Hearts, Mario & Luigi, Space Invaders Extreme 2... plus lots of games to look forward to, like US version of the new SMT, Infinite Line, the next few Professor Layton games, Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy Gaiden, Spirit Tracks, Dragon Quest IX, Wind of Nostalgia, Okamiden...

Yes, it gets a lot of bad ports, and yes, sometimes there are slow weeks. Every portable system is the same like that; if you don't remember all the shovelware and horrible horse / kitten / pet games on the GBA, you're deluding yourself. People look back and only remember all the good stuff; when the successor to the DS comes out, everyone will complain that it doesn't have as many good games as the DS did, and way more shovelware.

17. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    dude Xenophobia is the group that releases all of the Square games i've gotten so far.

18. endrien

Newcomer endrien Newbie

Canada
    Why do you think there's not many good games being released? If almost everyone's pirating games and the only games being bought are the shitty kids games by parents...What do you think are going to keep on releasing?

19. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada

P.S: OneUp released Wizard of Oz already [​IMG]

1)Xenophobia
    2)OneUp
    3)iND

20. Krisboo

Newcomer Krisboo Advanced Member

Chile
    In my opinion, the DS has a very good "library" of Games. Some are very creative, others are shitty. like the pet blabla, or childish things without content ( sincerely, i can't believe how money is thrown away in the development of those games, that doesn't have anything remarkable ). We have seen very Good games on almost every genre, RPG, Strategy, etc, and i don't think that The PSP has better ones, but, after all, everything depends on your own likes.

I hope companies think before releasing stupid titles, and sequels without sense, and provide the gamers with titles that wil amaze us.