Homebrew What's better for emulation, separate emulators or retroarch?

ButtonMarkedErase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I'm wanting to play some older retro games (ps1, genesis non-vc consoles) and see that there's retroarch. I've heard emulation is a bit iffy on retroarch rather than just using a separate emulator for each console. Is this true r should I just go with retroarch?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch is more resource-intensive but it can run OK on New models. Sometimes its your only option like PS1 for instance.

I recommend Bubble2006k's emulators, the run well even on old3DS, although they have their limits. Mostly picodrive's less accurate and often desynchronized audio engine, so you can try Genesisplus GX on retroarch. mGBA is great for gameboy/color and some GBA games. The standalone handy for Lynx has some periodic sound bugs that the current retroarch version doesn't. Don't have much experience with other standalone emulators.

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The highly customized 3DS port of Vice (Commodore C64 emulator) is proof that the retroarch concept is in serious trouble. Their idea of establishing a unified GUI on top of unified executables just doesn't work for "fringe" systems like 3DS. There are too many differences. Optimizing the GUI for the 3DS requires a complete separation from the standard retropie approach where you have one button and connect an Xbox controller.
This particular emulator would have never been on that level of excellence if it had not escaped the grips of retroarch. Even Vice itself seems retroarchish in its lack of modernism. They are now forcing users to compile executables. Everybody knows that nobody does that.
It's weird. At least we have something kicking Commodore ass on the 3DS. Thanks to this one guy Badda who just did it without asking the Retroarch overlords :)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-vice3ds-c64-emulator.534830/

Last edited by Elwyndas,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots