What write speed is better for burning GC backups?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by mjolnir_markiv, Dec 24, 2010.

1. mjolnir_markiv
    OP

Newcomer mjolnir_markiv Member

Russia
    What write speed is better for burning GC backups to play them on Wii?

I know, this topic has been discussed here already, but this time I did some actual tests. I'd be grateful for your competent opinion on that matter. Thanks!

Media: Verbatim DVD-R
    Burner: Sony Optiarc AD-5200A
    Software: Nero Burning ROM 8

Nero quality test results on 5x and 8x read speed* of three absolutely identical DVDs written on 4x (media min), 8x and 16x (media max):
    [​IMG]

* I'd have liked to test them on 3x and 6x read speed, since AFAIK this's actual Wii drive min and max speed, but for some reason Nero didn't let me to do it.

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Never had any problems. always burning at full speed. 16X
    Gamecube backups are read at 3x speed.
    Read and write speed are different things.

If I burn a 1X the Wii still reads 3X.
    If I burn at 16 X the Wii still reads 3X.

It's the media that matters. Use Good , stable media. And use a good writer.
    And you will have zero problems.
    Also don't burn using NERO.
    Use ImgBurn.
    It seems you don't even know the basics.

I have more than 50 games on Mutiiso. All work..

Nice graphs, but i don't see the logic in the numbers... It does'nt say anything,
    in the line of Wii and Gamecube read ability's.

3. mjolnir_markiv
    OP

Russia
    Um, not sure where did I imply those are the same. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that Wii reads at 3x as well (though some say that it can read at 6x technically) =) But thanks, it seems in my case there're no significant differences in burn quality between 4x, 8x and 16x, they're all in line of Wii readability as you've said. (still 8x is a tad better in terms of PI errors).

4. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    Just to make clear that burn speed does'nt make a difference in read speed.
    Retail Wii discs read at 6X. Backups read at 3X.
    Gamecube Retail read 3X. Backups Read 3X also.

Although I have no problems, it might give someone with different specs in harware and media, better results using a lower burn speed.
    It's important to get the information at it's best on the media. After that the Wii/gamecube just reads.
    Basicly get good media. The verbatim discs you used for the test are known to be 100% compatible with wii.
    Make sure the reflector is good. I always use the printable DVD's because of the coating.
    Also the shiny side doe'snt matter that much. the backside ( print area ) is where the reflection is.
    If that side is easily damaged, your disc are worthless.

With cheap disc the silver coating can come loose, resulting in data loss/ physically unreadeble discs.
    If you hold the disc against a light source and you can't see through easily, you have a good coating.
    If you can see right through, well you have SH*T.
    When CD's first came out, there where special stickers you could buy to protect the discs back. These stickers where for retail discs.

5. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Wii does read at 6X, for pressed games and back ups if your Wii is chipped.

I am not sure about the details but a soft mod Wii can only do 3X due to the drive being in debug mode and able to run burnt games (This last part I am a bit fuzzy on)

6. mjolnir_markiv
    OP

Russia
    Cool to know, thanks.

I've run some tests on actual hardware. Well, not a hell lot of difference. After fast checking about 20 ISOs, DVDs burned on different speeds showed significantly different results only in F-Zero GX (a bit of music jittering at menu screen while playing 4x and 16x burned DVDs, DVD burned at 8x is playing fine). Wave Race was really slow on 4x DVD and had few video glitches, though it played ok after reload so I'm not sure it was due to media.

The topic is clear to me now. Thanks, Hielkenator. You've helped me twice already =)

7. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    Wave race is know for the glitsches. Possibly no music in the game from backup.
    Original copy sometime jitters too, especially when entering the menu the first time...DAMN FAST GAME LOL!

Are you using Multi iso's?
    Depending on the where the game is on the disc, read speed can slightly vary.