What we know about RedNAND so far

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by MattKimura, Nov 5, 2016.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    This'll be a post to list some DO's and DON'T's to help people plan ahead when setting up RedNAND and their games. I'll try to update this as I gain more info. This is a post I made on Reddit, I brought it here to build a discussion about it and hopefully build the list further with more facts.

NOTE: When I mention installed games, I always mean through the Brazilian method aka disc tickets

Facts about linked NANDS (Never formatted SysNAND)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Facts about unlinked NANDS (Formatted SysNAND)

Misc Facts about RedNAND (Unrelated to linked/unlinked)

More info soon, still editing. Suggestions would be great, I'll add them to the list. Correct me on some of these if you can.

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 9, 2016

2. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Does anyone have a clue on why that doesn't seem to work vice-versa? (Installing the game internally on sysNAND.)

3. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    I think this may need some revision. I have thought that if you install games in redNAND with an invalid ticket, then it should not be able to play in sysnand. That is if you apply the Brazilian patch to the legit ticket then it is possible to do this.

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Thanks I'll add this info to the post. Whenever I mention installing games, I always mean the Brazilian method with disc tickets.

5. TheZander

TheZander member

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    anyone try booting a rednand from one wiiu on another wiiu? I have 2 at the moment but do not feel like going through the hassle of pairing a gamepad

6. AboodXD

AboodXD I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    Those are also facts about un-linked NANDs:

MattKimura likes this.
  7. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    I have my NANDS linked and have no problem so far....with me having an 8GB Wii U, all my games are stored on USB...however, something else that can be added

Games downloaded from NUS will work without a ticket mod in RedNAND only....if you attempt to run these in SysNAND, it'll give an error about Nintendo ID being wrong

I have personally downloaded a few games using FunkiiU and installed them without swapping out .tik files

8. AboodXD

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    @Dvdxploitr To make it simpler:
    You can install unsigned apps on redNAND, like games/updates/DLCs/homebrew with a fake (not real) ticket.

9. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    This doesnt make sense. forget the USB part because thats true, but if you install something to rednand internal or sysnand internal, Whether they're linked or not will not show up on the other nand UNLESS the games were installed on sysnand internal before dumping sysnand to make a rednand image.

Installed mario party, mario bros u & sys config tool on rednand internal while linked & they never showed up on sysnand at all.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Nov 5, 2016
  10. Scoop111

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Somebody over at the RedNAND-Thread reported, that USB-installed DLC for Mario Kart 8 (in RedNAND) also works in sysNAND. Makes sense to me, at least if the game was installed before dumping and creating redNAND.
    Because I've read several times, that the WiiU only checks tickets on installation, not when starting a game...

Edit: I just re-read the other thread and it seems, it only worked for that guy because he once puchased the DLC and later used a fake ticket on redNAND because he didn't want to enter eshop again to redownload. My bad...

Last edited by Scoop111, Nov 5, 2016
    memomo likes this.
  11. Ncm

Ncm Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2014
    France
    I have Mario Kart installed on USB with Brazilian exploit. So, if I install RedNand without unlinking my SysNand, and if I install a DLC for Mario Kart, save will be unique to each Nand right ? So if I play online, I can have two different save for the same profil ? And won't be a problem if I play with Mario Kart on sysNand if I already installed DLC on usb when I was on RedNand ?

12. geheim

geheim GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany
    So DLC on the internal storage gets deleted at booting RedNAND, right?? Does this apply to legally bought and installed DLC on sysNAND as well?? (I mean booting up RedNAND deleting that DLC??)

13. AboodXD

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    When you install DLC for free in redNAND on the internal storage and reboot the system, all the DLCs will be gone, even the ones you purchased.

This doesn't happen when the game is on USB though. I tried it.

14. geheim

geheim GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks, so if I install any DLC for free (eg. Hyrule Warriors) in RedNAND, my sysNAND installed legally purchased MK8 DLC will also be gone on sysNAND after reboot??

Last edited by geheim, Nov 5, 2016
  15. AboodXD

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    It'll be gone on redNAND only.

16. geheim

geheim GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany
    Okay I understand, so that's no Problem for me ;) Then I'll just install free DLC on USB only and can continue playing my legally purchased DLC on sysNAND internal. Perfect :)
    Thanks for your fast anserws @AboodXD !

17. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Not sure about this one. I have installed DLC on rednand on both Internal and USB Memory. I have not lost any DLC yet.

18. keine

keine GBAtemp Fan

Aug 29, 2010
    United States
    What utilities are needed to do this?
    Would a VC game like Super Mario Galaxy 1 without dump work?
    How is the process different from Brazillian USB when using a proper rednand?

Last edited by keine, Nov 5, 2016
  19. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    You cannot install Cafe2Wii titles such as Super Mario Galaxy on either redNAND or sysNAND. You'll probably get bricked by installing to sysNAND, and redNAND doesn't have vWii support. (Yet.)

As for installing titles on redNAND, it's not really different from the Brazilian method at all. Just install titles using WUP Installer Y Mod.

MattKimura likes this.
  20. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    You mentioned installing games to internal, and it being copied over as you create rednand. But what about USB installed games?

I'm planning on installing games on sysnand first, then creating rednand so that I can have two environments both with the same games. Playing non DLC games on sysnand and DLC based games on rednand.