Hacking What to do.

Ghaleon1982

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, been a while since I've last made a post. Anyway I'm trying to get into the 3DS area, right now I can play NDS games on my 3DS but I want to move further on and play my backups of my 3DS games. I see that Sky3ds, Gateway, and CFW are the ways to go from what I can gather. But from what I've read you need to be on this or that firmware for things to work. Currently I'm on firmware 7.1.0-14U so what are my options? I've been thinking about buying a sky3Ds plus but it looks like no one is actually selling them. A lot of places say it will ship on Dec 22nd and it's only pre orders.... Well it's now Jan and they say he same thing. (Pre orders and shopping in dec)

Any suggestions? Or should I just go CFW? And if so what's the best one out?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, been a while since I've last made a post. Anyway I'm trying to get into the 3DS area, right now I can play NDS games on my 3DS but I want to move further on and play my backups of my 3DS games. I see that Sky3ds, Gateway, and CFW are the ways to go from what I can gather. But from what I've read you need to be on this or that firmware for things to work. Currently I'm on firmware 7.1.0-14U so what are my options? I've been thinking about buying a sky3Ds plus but it looks like no one is actually selling them. A lot of places say it will ship on Dec 22nd and it's only pre orders.... Well it's now Jan and they say he same thing. (Pre orders and shopping in dec)

Any suggestions? Or should I just go CFW? And if so what's the best one out?
You want rxTools https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ Sky3DS will be the worst option for flash cards soon and Gateway will support 10.3 as well for now use rxTools but if it turns out 10.3 Emunand/Sysnand is exclusive to Gateway you know what to do.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

The9thBit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Word of advice; if you're able to install CFW, don't buy any flashcarts. The Sky3DS is only really helpful for being firmware-indendent (which is irrelevent if you have the right firmware already), and Gateway is, from a functional standpoint, pretty much just a combination of rxMode and NTR CFW that requires an overpriced card.

The only reason you should by a card is if you are desperate for .3DS/.3DZ support, and since those can be converted to .CIA files, there's not much point, especially when you consider that .CIA files don't suffer from the annoying technicalities with headers that you get with carts.

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife got a me a 3DS for Christmas and a DSTWO plus (because that was the card the guy at the shop recommended her). The DSTWO plus has 3DS capabilities through the gateway plug in, I tried it, didn't like it as much. So I went with CFW and just use the DSTWO for DS features. After using GBA as cia I don't think I'll even use the GBA emulator at this point.

If I had bought it myself I would just return/sell the DSTWO and get a cheap R4 for DS but since it was a gift I still use it lol.

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, you mean there's an actual physical retail location in your area that sells flashcarts??

Yupp it's a little mom and pop store the sells games and accessories, almost all of their game accessories are in Japanese packaging lol and they sell a lot if import games and have cool little toys and stuff from Japan. They also sell flash cards and can hard mod your system for you. I shop there most of the time.

Ghaleon1982

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm following the instructions and when I tell it to boot to rxmode it says RXMODE IS BOOTING and nothing ever happens. Any ideas?

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
The only reason you should by a card is if you are desperate for .3DS/.3DZ support, and since those can be converted to .CIA files, there's not much point, especially when you consider that .CIA files don't suffer from the annoying technicalities with headers that you get with carts.

Mostly true, but Gateway has at least one advantage imo, and that's cheat support. NTR has cheat plugins but they're poorly documented and require effort to code just for a single title. Gateway's system is far more intuitive and easier to use for a wider range of games.

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You want rxTools https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ Sky3DS will be the worst option for flash cards soon and Gateway will support 10.3 as well for now use rxTools but if it turns out 10.3 Emunand/Sysnand is exclusive to Gateway you know what to do.

Why Sky3DS would become the worst option?
The only thing that CFW doesn't have compare to Gateway is .3DS compatibility.

If you setup a CFW, you've got a free Gateway without 3DS files.
Now, if you have a CFW + a Sky3DS, you have the same thing that Gateway users. The main difference is that you can use your games on another system with the Sky3DS, even on systems that will be updated past 10.3 in the future, you can borrow games in a way.

I really don't see why Sky3DS would become the worst flashcard. The worst one will be the Gateway because since the 9.2->4.5 downgrade, they just took things that people released for free and except the cheat stuff, nothing new. Just a paid CFW with a dongle. ;)

And if people don't care about 3DS compatibility, CFW is the way to go.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why Sky3DS would become the worst option?
The only thing that CFW doesn't have compare to Gateway is .3DS compatibility.

If you setup a CFW, you've got a free Gateway without 3DS files.
Now, if you have a CFW + a Sky3DS, you have the same thing that Gateway users. The main difference is that you can use your games on another system with the Sky3DS, even on systems that will be updated past 10.3 in the future, you can borrow games in a way.

I really don't see why Sky3DS would become the worst flashcard. The worst one will be the Gateway because since the 9.2->4.5 downgrade, they just took things that people released for free and except the cheat stuff, nothing new. Just a paid CFW with a dongle. ;)

And if people don't care about 3DS compatibility, CFW is the way to go.
Skycards are going to be cloned very soon the worst card you can buy soon will be
Sky3ds+<DSTWO+<Gateway 3DS
Also its not about compatability its about exclusive features and continuous support

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sky3DS can be clone, but it doesn't mean that it will be cloned.

GW has 3DS support and cheat codes.
Sky3DS has 3DS support and support on every firmware.

CFW is really the way to go and if you want a .3ds compatibility, your best bet is Sky3DS (or a clone if that happens).
CFW has a cheat system and GW cheat system just brings more cheats to NTR.

The Custom FW just has exactly the same features with a better support than Gateway. ('cause "soon" lulz)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS can be clone, but it doesn't mean that it will be cloned.

GW has 3DS support and cheat codes.
Sky3DS has 3DS support and support on every firmware.

CFW is really the way to go and if you want a .3ds compatibility, your best bet is Sky3DS (or a clone if that happens).
CFW has a cheat system and GW cheat system just brings more cheats to NTR.

The Custom FW just has exactly the same features with a better support than Gateway. ('cause "soon" lulz)
The skycards method of exploitation is now public anyone and there mother can make a clone or implement the code into their cards. Gateway might even get to use NTRCardhax. Like I said normally I would say CFW but they more than likely won't ever have 10.3 support.

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Atm you're just guessing things.
Gateway just announced support for the last firmware and they will probably use downgrade with memchunkhax2. You tell us that they may use NTRCardhax, yea sure, why not but why should we suppose that GW will use it? We can also suppose that Sky team may use it to purpose the use of CFW. (Yea, remember that they love to do the promotion of other developers work and that would be useful to sell another bunch of cards)

The situation is:
CFW will get compatibility through downgrade (SNShax, memchunkhax2)
GW will get compatibility, we can think that it will be through downgrade (memchunkhax2 probably) or they will use NTRcardhax.
Sky3DS can just play games on every firmware. Now updatable, may add some features or convert it into this new kind of PassMe to use NTRcardhax. (I doubt of this idea because it would required to use DS boot mode but anyway, if GW uses their cheap R4 card to do it (blue card)... We'll have plenty of clones around $10)

Even if Sky3DS just stay as it is, until something else change for Gateway, there is no point telling that GW or Sky is better because nothing was release...
And seeing what happened with the 3DS scene, the Gateway Team may prefer to just wait for memchunkhax2 to be release... Considering that everybody uses their own downgrade method when we had to downgrade to 4.5 to use CFW, it would not be shameful.

Last edited by Ekaitz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2