Gaming What software did GBA devs use to make a sequences for GBA?

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to know what software GBA devs used to compose music and sound effects for the GBA. As of now I use openmpt since it's the most reliable free program that I've found so far. I've seen people recommend anvil studio but that program has so many issues not to mention that it takes me twice as long to compose a song there than it does using openmpt. Just wanted to know if maybe some of those old programs are still out there since openmpt as good as it is wasn't made to make music for the GBA and does fall short in certain areas. Any advice would be great :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean homebrew or commercial? Sounds like homebrew but eh.

On the commercial I don't know if we ever had any "inside the company" type interviews with those working on the GBA like we see for various really old systems (Commodore SID, Amiga stuff or noted composers like Yuzo Koshiro) say much of anything about music. There are a thousand different sites, even more at the time, so that means little as I would not tend to read such a thing unless I knew the game in question. The GBA was probably the last gasp of such things though for a lot of the old school types so there is also that.

Wandering around various hacking forums and homebrew dev over the years I saw those going for a "that'll do" or transposing certain sounds in their head and just playing accordingly (the A in GBA standard sound font/sample library/sound bank might be different to your keyboard or what was preloaded into your little korg machine in some ways but is still A, ditto snare hit and explosion...). If there was a tool in general then FL Studio (was often still known as FruityLoops as it was during the GBA lifetime it changed and many stuck with older versions for a while) was still pretty popular.
Awave studio had some fans.
You mentioned anvil and while I agree on its nature it is still what was popular among many.
LMMS is something I have toyed with when trialling various pieces of software and a search has it looking like it had a few people crowbar stuff into it, though more for the original gameboy than the GBA.
Openmpt was still largely known as modplug tracker at the time as well. Some did say it lost or altered functionality quite radically. https://deku.gbadev.org/program/sound3.html

If you are going to ask what versions, plugins and the like will be needed to play (this was all happening so long ago that legacy support of plugins was not the foremost thought in the minds of developers) then I am out.

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just looking for a freeware program that can export to Midi very well. So I thought that if I could find something close to what GBA devs used then I might be able to create more accurate sounds. The only reason for this is that I'm currently making sound effects for a rom hack and I noticed that pitch bend commands were not exporting properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is gta v or call of duty still up?