What problems can a slow Micro SD card cause?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Lluvia, Dec 4, 2008.

Dec 4, 2008
  1. Lluvia
    OP

Newcomer Lluvia Advanced Member

Germany
    I just bought a 4GB Micro SDHC card from Sandisk. It is only class 2 and SC speed detection said 22, but it has a random access time of only 0.8ms and read speed of about 18 MB/s. In some topics here people said, that the class is not important, because it's only the WRITE speed. I tested the card with Castlevania PoR and CoS. PoR gets the random freezes and the intro of CoS is laggy and skips frames. But all other games I tested worked fine. Now I don't know if I should keep the card, because I don't care about the Castlevanias, or if I should try to get a class 4 or 6 card (but with the risk of getting an even slower card, because the class only affects write speed). So my question is if there are any other problems (other games not working or sth totally different) with slow SD cards.

2. Zaiga

Member Zaiga GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I also have a slow card, but all of my games play fine. The only problem with slow micro SD cards is that some games might have slow downs or the intro could freeze. (Castlevania) If you don't play Castlevania, then you don't have anything to worry about.

3. Lluvia
    OP

Germany
    I just played a bit Guitar Hero and because I had distracting lags with the Supercard menu, I installed DSTT menu and tried GH on that. Now guess what, the lags were gone! Does anybody know what the reason for this could be? I tried several speed settings with the Supercard menu, but that didn't change anything (does it even affect games or just the menu?).

4. Zaiga

Member Zaiga GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    That's just because the DSTT menu is faster. The Supercard's menu speed does not affect your game's speed. There's no way to change the speed of it. The team haven't bothered to fix it yet.

5. Lluvia
    OP

Germany
    I didn't mean the lags in the menu, but lags in the game. When I boot Guitar Hero from the Supercard menu, it lags whenever something like starpower activation or a new multiplier happens. But when I boot it from the DSTT menu, these lags are gone and the game runs smoothly all the time.

Edit: Just found out about DMA mode. With this enabled lags are almost gone with the Supercard menu. There's also another thread here, where someone had the same experience with GH and the two menus.