Hacking What point to format....

jonlad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greetings!

I'm getting a AU N3DS XL running 10.3.0-28E and will be following Pileacts tutorial on github.

At what point should I be formatting the N3DS to reduce risk of a softbrick? I'm not concerned about losing any user data on the unit.

Any other tips/gotchas anyone can point out that will help my chances of bricking it? Really dont want to end up with a unit running fw 11.....

Thanks!

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Greetings!

I'm getting a AU N3DS XL running 10.3.0-28E and will be following Pileacts tutorial on github.

At what point should I be formatting the N3DS to reduce risk of a softbrick? I'm not concerned about losing any user data on the unit.

Any other tips/gotchas anyone can point out that will help my chances of bricking it? Really dont want to end up with a unit running fw 11.....

Thanks!

There is no need to format unless you had emunand set up prior or is an Ambassador 3ds

jonlad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its a completely vanilla/unmodded unit. Not sure what an Ambassador 3ds is but pretty sure it wont be one.

I thought that formatting was strongly recommended to avoid a possible soft brick?

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Its a completely vanilla/unmodded unit. Not sure what an Ambassador 3ds is but pretty sure it wont be one.

I thought that formatting was strongly recommended to avoid a possible soft brick?

There is no harm in doing it. Format was recomended long time ago when the guide had many more variables and you would want the most stable system possible. It doesn't take that much time to format it anyway, do what you feel is better.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The causes of brick on downgrading are still not clearly known, and certainly it doesn't hurt to do a factory reset first...
...before but as close as possible to running sysupdater to flash 9.2, is when you should do it!

jonlad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so its safe to format at any point during the process?

Is that still the most recent, up to date method of downgrading/installing cfw?

thank you guys

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so its safe to format at any point during the process?

Is that still the most recent, up to date method of downgrading/installing cfw?

thank you guys

Not any point. before the downgrade to 9.2 is the goal if you gonna format it.

And yes, its the most recent method atm.

Edit: Please dont forget to backup the content of your 3ds SDcard

Last edited by gkoelho,

jonlad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
there is nothing on the sd, no issue wiping it all

so will format after the browser hax section is complete. Will the browser definitely be on a n3ds xl unit running 10.3.0-28E?

Is it true using a 128gb sd card will slow games down?

any other tips you can give me?

Sorry for all the lame questions - only just learnt 3ds cfw existed yesterday :)

Last edited by jonlad,

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
there is nothing on the sd, no issue wiping it all

so will format after the browser hax section is complete. Will the browser definitely be on a n3ds xl unit running 10.3.0-28E?

Is it true using a 128gb sd card will slow games down?

any other tips you can give me?

Sorry for all the lame questions - only just learnt 3ds cfw existed yesterday :)

You need to keep backups of your 3ds folders on the SD card, do it please.

Also 128gb card can slow down boot, rarely games, but is by very narrow margin.

Just read everything carefuly and in the case of doubts come ask more question before doing anything you dont are sure about.

jonlad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
duly noted - thanks

The browser should be available on a n3ds xl unit running 10.3? Looks like it will be a pita if it doesnt have it

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
duly noted - thanks

The browser should be available on a n3ds xl unit running 10.3? Looks like it will be a pita if it doesnt have it

By looking at your firmware it should be there and be exploitable. Even if its not there are other methods you can try, just dont go update to 11.0 before finishing the guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs