What is this modchip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by ben_not_benny, Sep 19, 2008.

Sep 19, 2008

What is this modchip? by ben_not_benny at 11:17 PM (1,308 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. ben_not_benny
    OP

Member ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I got a premodded wii a while ago and I don't know what modchip is in it and I need some help. I looked up some articles about Wii modchips and didn't find a match. I don't have a photograph available but I will do my best to describe it.

The modchip is blue in color, dimensions are about 3 cm x 4.5 cm. It is rectangular shaped but one corner is cut off (like the shape of a SD card). The center of the modchip has two black rectangles (what were they called again?) one labeled "Lattice" along with some numbers and the other one labeled "Dual"

The Wii is 3.3J and it can play both JP and US backups.

Does anyone here know what modchip it is? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Hmm... probably best to take a photo of it, Ben.

3. ben_not_benny
    OP

Member ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I found it, it is called Wiitop apparently... o.O

Anyway, I have a problem loading NGC backups... it always show up on the wii as a "?" and tells me to read the manual. I've read that Wiitop is capable of loading GC backups, so what am I doing wrong? I shrunk the iso using GCMUtility and burned it using imgburn at 4x.

4. madmods

Newcomer madmods Member

Canada
    I doubt you will get much support since that chip is a clone and not popular so not many other users would have it to help you with your problem. sorry.

5. madmods

Newcomer madmods Member

Canada
    I doubt you will get much support since that chip is a clone and not popular so not many other users would have it to help you with your problem. sorry. It may be the case that the wii being japanese can't play USA gamecube games. Convert your wii to NTSC-U and you should be ok. We can do it for $20 if you bring it by.

6. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Doesn't that not matter?

P.S. Yay! 800 posts!