What is the best video game controller ever?

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No real need to explain anything, I think.

Anyways, for me, I would say the original SEGA Mega Drive (or Genesis for you Americans) controller is the best controller ever made. It's got a very simplistic design, with only a D-pad, three 'trigger' buttons and a start button. No need for analog sticks/nubs, shoulder buttons, or anything like that. The buttons are very soft, yet they aren't as mushy as the DS Lite's buttons. The controller itself feels very solid and perfectly fits in your hands, while still being light of weight.

A very simple, yet effective design. If only consoles nowadays has something like that (the Wii is close but not close enough).

On another note, if you post your favourite controller, at least mention why, as it seems that many people forget to do such things nowadays.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that the GameCube controller is the best ever, to me at least. It's comfortable in the hand, and it's simplistic button layout is very appealing to me.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I think that the GameCube controller is the best ever, to me at least. It's comfortable in the hand, and it's simplistic button layout is very appealing to me.

Gonna go with this, I really liked the Gamecube controller. Although the Xbox/Xbox 360 controller is really nice in my opinion. I can't stand having both the analog sticks on the lower half of the controller (aka the Sony controllers). I mean, I get used to it after a while and stuff, but I still prefer having the analog sticks diagonal from each other (like the Gamecube one or the Xbox ones).

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know which wins overall, but here's my thoughts on the controllers I have:

- Wii Mote. Could never got on with motion controls, they feel too imprecise and awkward. Don't like the Wiimote.

- 360 pad. Not too keen because of the dodgy positioning of the sticks. Doesnt feel quite right. A functional enough pad but not the best ever.

- PS3 pad. Tried and true design but I'm getting kinda bored of it now. No originality. And most games make no use of the six-axis feature.

- Gamecube pad. Supposedly the best pad ever designed. I personally like it but I don't think it truly deserves the title.

- N64 pad. I hold it the wrong way so I can't really judge. But it's seen me through over a decade of gaming bliss so it can't be bad.

- SNES pad. The very definition of classic, IMHO. Kinda fragile though.

- PS2 Wireless guitar. Can't complain since the manager of my local Game store gave it to me for free.

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Genesis controller was ok. It really did fee good in the hands, but it didn't have enough buttons. Once SF2 came out 3 buttons just didn't cut it. As extremely important as feeling good is so is being functional.

Which is why I have say the best controller ever was the Dual Shock 2. The PSX controller was just a rehash of the SNES controller, one of my favorite controllers of all time. However, as the psx controller evolved we got the Dual Shock. It added rumble and analog. The Dual Shock 2 improved upon the design by making the R2 and L2 buttons bigger in the back, making it more comfortable overall.

The Six Axis and Dual Shock 3 kinda messed that up...

So there you have it. My vote goes with the Dual Shock 2.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Gamecube has the most comfortable controller, but the best controller ever is this one:

technology_040a_001.jpg

with the Steel Battalion controller as a close second:

03-05_SteelBattalionController.jpg

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yoshimashin said:
Have you guys ever played a fighting game with the GameCube controller? Doesn't really work.

That's why people buy fight sticks.

As for the N64 controller, the big problem with it was that you couldn't access all the buttons at once. Not easily anyway. Usually it was one hand on the stick/Z button and the other on either the arrow pad (was it called the C-Pad?) or the A/B buttons. With future remotes I could easily get all the buttons with two hands.

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash yes... just about anything else... NOOOO

What kills the Gamecube controller is it's tiny dpad. That and it's weird button placement/shape, really made it bad for traditional fighters.

My problem with the GC controller was its dpad: tiny and awful.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Yoshimashin said:
Have you guys ever played a fighting game with the GameCube controller? Doesn't really work.

That's why people buy fight sticks.

As for the N64 controller, the big problem with it was that you couldn't access all the buttons at once. Not easily anyway. Usually it was one hand on the stick/Z button and the other on either the arrow pad (was it called the C-Pad?) or the A/B buttons. With future remotes I could easily get all the buttons with two hands.

That's why I don't hold the N64 pad by the central column, I hold it by both sides. That way my left thumb operates the control stick but can quickly switch to the D-pad when necessary, my 4th finger rests on the Z-trigger, and my right hand operates the A, B and C buttons. You need long fingers to play that way but thankfully I have them.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
•Gamecube - it's so comfortable
wub.gif

•XBOX360 - Very comfortable and has nice button layout
•Wii Remote + M+ and jacket - once again, very comfortable

Loser award:
•ecksbocks controller (the old one) - sooo effin fat

forgive the "ecks". my "ecks" button wont work

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
naglaro00 said:
•Gamecube - it's so comfortable
wub.gif

XBOX360 - Very comfortable and has nice button layout
•Wii Remote + M+ and jacket - once again, very comfortable

Loser award:
•ecksbocks controller (the old one) - sooo effin fat

forgive the "ecks". my "ecks" button wont work

O rly?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamecube controller. It fits very well in your hands, all buttons are easy to reach (even the start button that is in the center) and they are responsive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)