YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I've had a gateway for over a year now but never used it, won it in a competition on GBAtemp actually! But I'd already updated my firmware past the pointthe cart would still work in my 3DS.

So now the 3.0.1 update is released and they've got it working on the 9.2 Firmware, I've downloaded the setup files and there's an application called 'GW_ROM_Split_Tool.exe'

I loaded it up thinking it'll be like a trimmer, taking away the crap data that's there to give the game it's allocated size of 256 or 512MB or whatever, but I used it on Ultimate NES Remix and I just get an identical file, just with a different extention on the end (.3D0 or something)

Just wondering what exactly the tool is used for? Cheers!

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your sd card is formatted as FAT32, you are limited to <4GB files. If this is the case, SplitROM will break the 3ds file into 2GB chunks.
You can see the diagram in the lower right of the quick_guide_GW_xx.pdf

edit: The max file size on FAT32 is 4GB, not sure if that is an error in the quick_guide.pdf...

Reactions: WiiuGold

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This tool is for splitting 3DS roms that are larger than 4GB, since on a FAT32 system one can only store files up to a size of 4GB. So in order to play games that exceed that limit, you use this tool to split the rom.

Edit: :ph34r:

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah I see! Thanks you guys :) So the Gateway can read both of these separately, but as one game? Just using the exFAT format would seem more appropriate...

The PDF wouldn't load for me for some reason sup3rgh0st so I couldn't check it out :(

I'm guessing that there's no way of getting rid of the garbage data then? No trimming tools or the like yet?

Edit: Found out that the old application NDSTokyoTrim has actually been updated to allow 3DS ROMs o be trimmed! Thanks BrianTokyo for your amazing work!

Now I have 2 options/ Questions as a followup if anyone knows!

• Can a .3DS ROM still have different headers injected to converted to .3DZ (for online play), after trimming it?
  • OR does the Trimmer also trim .3DZ files too? That way I can just convert and trim :)
Thanks again everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay