Gaming What GNU/Linux OS Are You Using?

GNU/Linux OS

  • Arch

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fedora

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Debian

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Backtrack

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gentoo

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damn Small

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slackware

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandriva

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OpenSUSE

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puppy

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SilTaz

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux for DS / Wii / PS2 / XboX / PS3 / iPod

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One of the other hundreds of distros (Specify)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Using Linux (In which case, screw you :P )

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
OP
Member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,762
Trophies
0
Location
/home/andy/
Website
Visit site
XP
125
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I covered most of the popular bases in the main poll.

I'm using Arch GNU/Linux. Switched from Ubuntu a while ago. I'm using Debian on the Wii (XWhiite) and Yellow Dog on the PS3.

EDIT: BTW, note the ":P" in the last option. As in, I don't mean it. Don't take it seriously.
 

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
1,401
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
Indiana
XP
155
Country
United States
Not using linux.Have XP right now might try linux on my laptop though but which one is better or has an interface like Xp?
 

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
OP
Member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,762
Trophies
0
Location
/home/andy/
Website
Visit site
XP
125
Country
United States
DarkLG said:
Not using linux.Have XP right now might try linux on my laptop though but which one is better or has an interface like Xp?
Well obviously being Linux-biased I'm going to say Linux is better.
tongue.gif


The one that's most for beginners is Ubuntu. It uses the GNOME desktop environment. It's kind of a Mac-OS look. Though there are many themes at http://gnome-look.org/ which can change it to how you like. I have a screenshot of my desktop (GNOME) in the screenshots threat.

KDE looks more like Windows. It is included in Kubuntu.

If you got Kubuntu and wanted to try Ubuntu, you could type CODEsudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
in the terminal, or search for it in Synaptic Package Manager.

If you have Windows apps which you can't live without, they might work with Wine.

There are 500 dual-booting guides on the internet, since most people are reluctant to removing Windows at first.
 

MicShadow

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
465
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
232
Country
I have Ubuntu on my pc, but currently using windows 7/xp, mostly for the games. And I have been using windows for so long i find it hard to really ease into a Linux environment. Who knows maybe its just Ubuntu that I cant get used to.

I had a look an Gentoo and I was like 'i think may not use it yet'.

So yeah I want to get rid of Ubuntu and try a new distro. Any recommendations for a power user, but still relatively new Linux user that doesnt involve too much difficult compiling?
 

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
OP
Member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,762
Trophies
0
Location
/home/andy/
Website
Visit site
XP
125
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
I have Ubuntu on my pc, but currently using windows 7/xp, mostly for the games. And I have been using windows for so long i find it hard to really ease into a Linux environment. Who knows maybe its just Ubuntu that I cant get used to.

I had a look an Gentoo and I was like 'i think may not use it yet'.

So yeah I want to get rid of Ubuntu and try a new distro. Any recommendations for a power user, but still relatively new Linux user that doesnt involve too much difficult compiling?
I quit Windows once my audio stopped working and just got used to Ubuntu. Mostly just sitting around on Ubuntu Forums made me remove the Windows partition. (If you know what guitarist named his guitar "Arm the Homeless" and know what band he's in, you could find me there)

Gentoo isn't even practical for me yet.
tongue.gif

I'm not into that kind of compiling fetish.

If you can have a laptop or something to follow instructions to setup a GUI, then I'd recommend Arch. It's barebones, so you build it yourself. Which makes it very lightweight.

Ubuntu is kind of like, the starting distro. It's the one I started with. Ubuntu Forums will help you ease in. Maybe Fedora might work for you?
 

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
35,497
Trophies
2
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
25,340
Country
United Kingdom
Puppy (originally stock but now anything but), linux mint if I can not be bothered to set things up and whatever one tickles my fancy otherwise.

I am looking to set up a server in the next week or so in which case I am looking at debian and locking down xampp.

I also plan on kicking the GPL in the nuts and seeing what I can do towards making a version of linux I truly like similar to what I can do with xp and a copy of nlite. Time is the main factor here and my film/TV/book/game/internet bookmark collection seems more interesting right now.

This being said these are my throwaway machines, I am running a nicely tweaked XP install as I am loathe to give up the games, cad and video editing. Wine is good but not good enough and reactOS is little more than a toy for me right now.
 

MicShadow

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
465
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
232
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
MicShadow said:
I have Ubuntu on my pc, but currently using windows 7/xp, mostly for the games. And I have been using windows for so long i find it hard to really ease into a Linux environment. Who knows maybe its just Ubuntu that I cant get used to.

I had a look an Gentoo and I was like 'i think may not use it yet'.

So yeah I want to get rid of Ubuntu and try a new distro. Any recommendations for a power user, but still relatively new Linux user that doesnt involve too much difficult compiling?
I quit Windows once my audio stopped working and just got used to Ubuntu. Mostly just sitting around on Ubuntu Forums made me remove the Windows partition. (If you know what guitarist named his guitar "Arm the Homeless" and know what band he's in, you could find me there)

Gentoo isn't even practical for me yet.
tongue.gif

I'm not into that kind of compiling fetish.

If you can have a laptop or something to follow instructions to setup a GUI, then I'd recommend Arch. It's barebones, so you build it yourself. Which makes it very lightweight.

Ubuntu is kind of like, the starting distro. It's the one I started with. Ubuntu Forums will help you ease in. Maybe Fedora might work for you?


Hmm whats ironic is that I left Ubuntu alone for a long time after I couldnt get the sound drivers for my shitty realtek onboard.
mad.gif

But then again its never worked 100% in windows either.

I may look into Arch in the future, when I have a bit more time maybe. It looks interesting.

And Fedora looks great! I think I will download when my internet usage speed goes back up again. Thanks Arm The Homeless
biggrin.gif
 

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2007
Messages
2,462
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Michigan, USA
XP
851
Country
United States
I've used DamnSmallLinux when I needed to recover some files from an old laptop with a broken WinME partition, and I used what I believe was a form of Ubuntu with the KDE interface when I spent a week at a Michigan Tech program. Other than that, I mostly stick with Windows 7.

I actually tried installing Kubuntu on my laptop, but the ISO I downloaded was apparently a couple versions behind, and it didn't like my integrated graphics, or my hard drive... Maybe it's better off in the latest versions, since this laptop is a pretty new model VAIO, but it's gonna be a while before I try downloading a file that size again.

Personally, I'm a bit conflicted over whether I want to install Kubuntu or the latest modified Mac OS X. Linux is nice and all, but I have to do all of my video and newspaper editing for my multimedia class on Macs, and video editing on the go is a bit too good to pass up. Even if we were allowed to use it, Windows Movie Maker sucks compared to even something as simple as iMovie.
 

delta123

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
586
Trophies
0
Age
39
Location
Hyougo, Japan
Website
Visit site
XP
980
Country
i used ubuntu and kubuntu and found that it took forever to load on my computer which i could nver figure out why. so i uninstalled it. every now and then i would go back to linux to check it out. but i rather use the bastardised version of linux which is MacOSX.
 

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
35,497
Trophies
2
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
25,340
Country
United Kingdom
delta123 said:
i used ubuntu and kubuntu and found that it took forever to load on my computer which i could nver figure out why. so i uninstalled it. every now and then i would go back to linux to check it out. but i rather use the bastardised version of linux which is MacOSX.

The large almost clunky distros like linux mint and ubuntu do not get along with less than 512 ram (even giving it a swap space does not help all that much).

Have a go with puppy linux or damn small linux, they can still do open office, a nice media player, wine and firefox on junker machine (my throwaway is a sub 1GHz P3, early ati rage card and 192 ram or so). Last time I was playing around it had better hardware support than the ubuntu/debian based lineup but I hear do the latest version is quite good in that arena.

@FireEmblemGuy I know how you feel, there are basic editing/reencoding apps (stuff like Avidemux, considered by some the virtualdub of linux) but they can not hold a candle to the windows stuff for me right now (avisynth 3.0 which would have worked on linux seems to be on hiatus). If you do find something or someone else knows about something of similar calibre please share it.
 

delta123

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
586
Trophies
0
Age
39
Location
Hyougo, Japan
Website
Visit site
XP
980
Country
FAST6191 said:
The large almost clunky distros like linux mint and ubuntu do not get along with less than 512 ram (even giving it a swap space does not help all that much).


thats the thing, i had 2 gigs of ram on my computer. i`ve mostly given up on linux, mainly because for me a computer is only there to play videos and listen to music, and surf the net. i dont do anything on my computer besides that.
 

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
OP
Member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,762
Trophies
0
Location
/home/andy/
Website
Visit site
XP
125
Country
United States
FireEmblemGuy said:
Personally, I'm a bit conflicted over whether I want to install Kubuntu or the latest modified Mac OS X. Linux is nice and all, but I have to do all of my video and newspaper editing for my multimedia class on Macs, and video editing on the go is a bit too good to pass up. Even if we were allowed to use it, Windows Movie Maker sucks compared to even something as simple as iMovie.
Dual-boot?
tongue.gif


I never video edit on Linux, but as far as I know, it doesn't have that many good editors.
I know of Avidemux, Cinelerra, and Kino. ( http://osalt.com/ )

And BTW, if any of the distros have official torrent mirrors, I'd suggest using them.
A Ubuntu torrent takes ~5 minutes, compared to 1 hour of direct download.
 

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
2,119
Trophies
0
Age
122
Location
Kikkoman Factory
XP
978
Country
All my devices running on some Linux kernel: Ubuntu on the PC (dual booting with Vista), DD-WRT on the router, Android on the phone, Yellow Dog on the PS3.
gbasp.gif
 

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
901
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
308
Country
Servers: Debian. Simply the best and non-commercial.

Clients: Ubuntu or Debian. Of course Ubuntu 'just works' better there, but if it does not ... Debian.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: KFC dating sim