What external hard rive should i get

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Gulsh, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Gulsh
    OP

Gulsh Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2014
    Canada
  2. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    I assume you are talking about a Wii not a WiiU. I can't speak for the WiiU but on the Wii I recommend the Western Digital My Book. I have the 1TB model. Format it to FAT32 using the tool from ModMii. This drive is compatible with everything. I run USB loaders, UNEEK, triiforce, RawkSD, all emulators, homebrew and wii-linux with no issues. With Western Digital HDDs there is a tool to turn off spin-down,you'll need to do that first.

I don't know about that one in the link. Its a newer version of the series. I have setup at least 20 Wii's and it seems the more bells and whistles the HDD has the more issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Essential-Desktop-External/dp/B002JMYCTC <-mine

My HDD is USB 2.0 but Wii won't support 3.0 anyway. Save some money. I don't really see a need for more than a terabyte unless you are doing something extreme.

3. Gulsh
    OP

Gulsh Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah its the Wii i am able to settle with any 2tb hard rive from the source store only place in town i can really get them and the spindown i did research would that really be the only problem if so that's no big deal so would the 2 tb one i listed work?

4. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    It SHOULD work. Wii HDD support is bad. You could try it. I know the one I pointed out is good. WD has good track record IMHO.

2TB HD is too big for a few things last I checked (UNEEK mainly) Maybe that was fixed

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Most compatibility issues with HDDs on Wii and Wii U aren't caused by the drive itself, but by the USB bridge in the drive case.

I have a Hitachi 500 GB HDD in a Rosewill RX81U-ES-25A USB enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140 and it works perfectly. The enclosure should work with any hard drive without a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice