What exactly IS this?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by GaoGaiGar, Dec 8, 2008.

1. GaoGaiGar
    OP

GaoGaiGar Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2008
    United States
    I have an R4 and a regular old DS Fat.

I want to play some GBA games (Read: Pokemon Hacks and Mother 3)

But, I'm not quite sure what exactly a Slot-2 Card does.

From what I get, it's like an R4, but you put it in the Slot-2 of your DS. Then it plays the ROMS saved on there, just like the R4. Plus it acts as a RAM thingummy so you can use things such as the opera browser. Right?

How exactly do these things work? What do they do?

I seriously have no clue. And the search function hasn't really enlightened me either.

Thanks and such in advance.

2. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    Simplified explanation:

The Slot 2 has a little bit of GBA cart like memory,which is rewritable. The games remain stored on your SD card, and when you want to play a game, it copies the rom from your card to this memory. Then it reboots the DS into GBA mode and accesses the game as normal. It also has a tiny bit of battery backed memory for your save files.

The ez3in1 also acts as a rumble pak and memory expansion for the browsers and some homebew beyond the above.

3. Meatbrain

Meatbrain Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Tucson, Arizona
    If I'm not mistaken, the rom data from your R4 is "flashed" onto your slot-2 card, so it basically becomes a gba game. Think of it as one of those UV lights that, when flashed on a person, leaves an imprint of the person's shadow on a special kind of material on the wall.

The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 seems to be a good one to get.

(also, Penchinon is the shit)

4. GaoGaiGar
    OP

GaoGaiGar Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2008
    United States
    BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anyways, I can assume the shopping sites listed on this forum are safe?

Thanks for the help, I'm probably getting one this Holiday