What Does It All Mean!?

5uck3rpunch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey gang,

I see a LOT of cool avatars & sigs here in GBATemp & I often wonder why these graphics are chosen & maybe where these graphics came from. Tell us the story behind your avatar & sig!

Mine is easy:

I ALWAYS LOVED
wub.gif
cartoons & Popeye was ALWAYS my favorite! I have him tattoed on my right arm/shoulder, flexing & snapping a drumstick in each hand (because I am & always will be a drummer). The Suckerpunch name & graphic is due to my NJ attitude that I grew up having (for those of you not in the US - I always had a trouble making bad ass punk attitude
nyanya.gif
...that was until I grew up
wink.gif
).

mrthnight
bow.gif
was kind enuff to show off his PhotoShop expetise & made me my 1st Popeye SIG. I happen to own a flash drive with U3 on it & downloaded a copy of GIMP (portable version) that I started messing with & what you see below is my very 1st attempt at a SIG & using GIMP. (WAY easier than PhotoShop & FREE!) I heisted the graphis from different sites thru Google images search, cut copy & pasted a bunch of different pictures & came up with what you see below. Not bad for my 1st attempt. It came out just as I envisioned it - very comic strip looking.

My fave SIG on GBATemp (other than mine)?: The one that Hugecock was using for the last few months! GREAT play on the words & very funny & creative!

Avatar/SIG I'm most curious about?: The avatar that Takeshi uses. I did a little research & read a little on the musician/alien person & find it creepy & weird. But that is why it intrigues me. I hope he will explain it in this thread - looking 4ward to it!

grog.gif
Now it's your turn to tell your story!!!
grog.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
My avatar is from the book Mother Night, by Kurt Vonnegut. Various permutations of the words mother and night have been my handle since QuantumLink (pre-AOL) days. My band (consisting of me and me ATM) is called mothernite as well. Mother Night is a book about a high ranking Propaganda Minister in nazi Germany (think Goebbels) who was actually a spy for the United States. He was adored by the nazis and hated by the people he was actually trying to save. Think Schindler's list, with a much more pronounced blurring of the dichotomy between good and evil.
Like gangsta rap artists who write about their environment and educate in the process of describing horror, I've always dipped into darkness to describe it and was mostly accused of glorifying it, (as the rappers generally are.) All along I really wanted to show what depression and self-loathing were to people who couldn't see it from the outside. So when I read the book I identified strongly with the anti-hero. The cover of the book has an american cowboy riding a german bred dog. I erased the swasticas and iron crosses, because I don't want anyone to think I'm a nazi or promoting such things. It's a powerful book, well worth a read if you want to explore means to an end type stuff.

Mother Night is also a "character" of sorts in a play by Goethe called Faust. Mother Night is the darkness that was all encompassing before light came in and invaded it's territory, the two became entangled as they often are in life, Think yin & yang, kinda...

Anyway, did I over explain that enough?
biggrin.gif

..and yeah Takeshi has the coolest avatar by a long shot! Followed closely by Psyfira's, and if you've never seen the complete picture of that, you're missing out.

..and Yuyuyup didn't like the avatar I made for him
cry.gif
but he's too cool for school anywhool!
yup.gif

Yup, I'm e-tarded! And the power of photoshop compells me.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My avatar is the main character of Chopping Block, a mild-mannered cannibalistic serial killer, Butch, and the problems he encounters as he trudges through the daily grind... Chopping Block: because serial killers are people, too.

And the sig is Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes, trying to invoke a rain of chocolate chip cookies with his ancient Indian cookie-dance.

Read C&H. It is good.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My avatar is a screengrab from the I wanna rock video by twisted sister, it means nothing other than I enjoy dodgy 80's metal.
Other avatars I had:
A transformers symbol
A smilely I hotlinked from the neoflash forum
A screengrab from ninja scroll.

Before my lycos site got taken down I had a samurai sword through a DVD,a GBA and a DS. I guess it could symbolise some of my interests but really it just means I got bored and decided to play with photoshop.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... Avatar/sigs I have had:
- Wario picking his nose, sitting on a couch.
- Wario picking his nose, sitting on a couch, with Momus(weird musical artist) sitting on his lap.
- Wind Waker Link
- Miss Spider
- Tintin
- Ness
- PeeWee Herman
- Lionel Richie
- Gary Coleman from Stand By Me
- Bob Dylan

were there any others? I can't remember. What did they mean? Pfft, who knows? Maybe I secretly, subconsciously wanted to be these people, and the only way I could do this was to use them as an internet avatar.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Avatar: The guy with the expressive glasses from "Late Night with Conan O'Brien".
Sig: "1000 Years of Pain" from Naruto.

Squiffy

GBATemp's Little Embarrassment
Trophies
Website
pyon.co.uk
XP
Country
My avatar is from GBA ROM number #700, "Silk to Cotton". God knows why I got that one.

Sig is from when we had sig competitions here and I liked it and just kept it.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the deal:

My avatar is a chibi-ish Phoenix Wright playing a DS.

Never played a PW game and probably never will, but you gotta admit, he has some cool @$$ hair...

My friend sent me the avatar and I've been using it ever since
happy.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Avatar was just a pic I'd done that looked kinda cool and cropped to a convienient size.
Sig cause I drink far too much tea, and it was the only thing I could think of to fit the dimensions. (I suck at working in narrow horizontal.)

First sig was derived from a DA ID about soul selling for a DS, which seemed rather appropriate for this site.
wink.gif
And here's a sneak-peek at the summer sig I made but never used cause it looked out of place on the page.

Tshu: Didn't you have your one armed man wallpainting as an avatar for a while (or was that daftkid, I forget
unsure.gif
)

kingeightsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
my avatar is an image of what really goes on in my mind... you can't see it because you can't read my mind.

my sig is just what i own: a nintendo gameboy micro (w/ g6 lite 4g flashcart), a modded ps2 & a nokia n80 as a cell phone.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: one of the people that appeared there was a minor when filming the cutscenes where she appears