what does flashing my ds do for me?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by kenio8185, Feb 25, 2009.

Feb 25, 2009
  1. kenio8185
    OP

Member kenio8185 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ok, so i just finished flashing my ds (which interestingly enough, when i used tinfoil with a toothpick, it didn't work. When i took the toothpick out and just had that bit of tinfoil and used that to bridge, it worked very easily). ANYWAYS, to my point, what does flashing my ds actually allow me to do in respect to homebrew?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Such as question has been answered on many occasions but
    It allows you to

Lose the health screen (unless you installed the stealth version and consequently kept it) when booting up.

Use a GBA slot device for DS homebrew without the aid of a pass device.

Run unsigned code from wifi (many people have packed homebrew into the download stations)

It helps with some carts that do not work well with download play (ok so not strictly homebrew but it is all good)

It adds a recovery mode (if you manage to mess up the firmware you can force a boot to a given device.

You can also force a boot to a given device if you feel like it (what buttons do what depends on the version you used: http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/ )

On some of the later models of the original DS it allows you to gain variable backlight.

3. kenio8185
    OP

Member kenio8185 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ok, the only thing that seems interesting to me is the force boot thing (which i assume i can use if my ds gets bricked). Ok, thx.

4. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    thanks i didn't know that!

5. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    With a slot-1 flashcard it is basically pointless to do. The risks far outway the benefits, but if you want to do it go ahead. I just think its hilarious that this guy flashed his DS first without any clue as to what/why the fuck he was doing it, and then asks questions later. This kind of logic is scary to me. Do research first, USE GOOGLE!, and then do whatever hacks and mods you want. I only say this because you could have easily bricked youre DS.

6. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Totally agree with Crass thats what I was gonna say. If he had shorted the resistor adjacent the flashing point (very easily done) could have caused a brick. (It was 4 months ago lol)

7. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    I honestly think you can't brick your ds as easily anymore. While doing my ds, it went to 1% then shut off. I got worried because I thought I really bricked it, but then I read that holding start + select while turning on your ds forceboots your flashcart. It did it. At 1%, I was amazed, as I didn't think the recovery mode would be so small to be in that 1%.

As for the benefits, I only see one.

NO MORE ANNOYING HEALTH SCREEN.

8. rommy667

Member rommy667 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    I just flashed my 2 lites to day & i love it even though I own 3 slot 1 cards,what happened the flash me sticky I could not get it to work......