Homebrew What Does Firmware 5.5.3 Do?

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may sound like a stupid question, and I'm sorry for that. Anyway, I'm new to homebrewing on Wii U in general, and I go looking up tutorials to access the homebrew launcher and junk. However, it's all for 5.5.2 and esspecially for things like Mocha CFW I want to use, I'm scared to brick my console since I don't know if anything changed during the new firmware. Most videos only change the name of the video with a /5.5.3 to say it's safe, but can anyone help me out here?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can see a list of changed titles at: https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php?date=09-03-18_08-00-36&sys=wup (click the numbered link in the first column for your region; keep in mind that E is American and P European as in product codes, unlike the more common J/U/E naming scheme)

For Japanese and American consoles nothing critical changed, for European consoles a stronger and retroactive opt-out from analytics was added

The only practical difference for modding is that, if you modified your default app (for 'most every common user, read that as
"installed CBHC"), if you install 5.5.3 (or reinstall/update in any other imaginable way the Wii U Menu, which on a consumer console is the only title which declares itself as suitable for being the default app), the default app will be reset to Wii U Menu (= CBHC won't autoboot, it will only run if you manually launch its app, and you will likely want to repeat its installation)

Most videos only change the name of the video with a /5.5.3 to say it's safe
Video guides, eh?

I'm scared to brick my console
There are very few stupid questions (especially if the intent is genuinely to learn something), but being scared of anything is rarely helpful to finding facts

(The WiiU scene in particular suffered from lots of fake facts being passed off as true, despite those facts being trivial to disprove by simply trying them: for example in the early days of the "brazilian exploit" it was claimed that installing foreign region titles would brick, rofl)

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
5.5.3 changed very little , iirc they blocked some entry points for webexploits , changed the eula some.. you wont see any difference to anything other than your initial exploit entry success on 5.5.3 it may take you a few more attempts to gain access .

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So essentially I can do just about everything just fine, just a few exploits were patched. I can do the cfw installation just fine? If I can do that, I'm set for anything else I think. :lol:

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok this makes things easier, this may not be a part of the thread, but it's better then starting a whole new thread. Anyway, what does cfw do, like i know it changes files around and opens up the system in ways you simply cant with ofw, but theres different kinds, like mocha

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyway, what does cfw do
(1) As far as the common 3DS/WiiU definition goes, it is a homebrew program that (re)loads the console's OS with some tweaks applied (said tweaks being at the discretion of the individual CFW's developer and possibly with some, often limited, user-selectability)

On the WiiU, examples of CFWs are: Haxchi and CBHC (only in part - their homebrew-forwarder features are not CFW), Mocha, the pair of "sigpatch2*" homebrews...

(2) The older but still used definition of CFW, popularized by the PSP scene, consists of a pre-modified operating system that is somehow loaded : the first WiiU CFWs, using fw.img files, were of this type; and a (v)wii CIOS could be pedantically called a CFW according to this same definition

(3) A third possible definition is "any replacement for the official operating system (even if not directly compatible)": while there aren't any WiiU examples off my mind, any ARM9 homebrew for the 3DS is one of these - including but not limited to those which meet definition (1); BootMii is a Wii CFW by this third definition, ...

Confusing? That's because there is are a lot of possible interpretations for the words "firmware" and "custom", with the preferred ones being both subjective and linked to context
Installing "Android" on a PC and calling it a CFW will likely get you laughed at, since hardly anyone calls "Android" a firmware; but doing the same thing on a phone is likely to be more acceptable despite the fact "Android" does mostly the same thing, due to a combination of openness and historical reasons
(the curious meanings of "custom rom" and "hard reset" in the phone world are imputable to the same factors)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok to end all my questions, is there a way to have cfw start on boot of a wii U console. I haven't researched too deep, but for as much research as i did, I did learn that cfw has to be enabled everytime I turn on the console. That's gonna be a problem. I'll shove out the money if haxchi is involved at this point, but is there a way, anyway too do this?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
there is a thing called google...
If you already know Haxchi, why not just google "Haxchi on boot" (or even "Wiiu CFW on boot" will work) not to mention the name of the software for that has been mentioned in this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.