What distro do you use?

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been a Mint user since 3.1 (Celena) and I love it. I even got Mint 5 named Elyssa, so that's my cool contribution to the project. ^_^

Oh that's really cool on your contribution to Mint so kudos.

I agree that the distro is generally solid but my main problem is that they don't provide the newer releases alongside the LTS releases, they only provide LTS focal which was a problem for me because I had to fix my monitor issue just by updating the linux kernel.

But other then that my experience with the distro has been pretty good so far on my laptop, I have a nagging feeling that's it's less fast/snappier compared to Windows 11 but recording the boot timings and seeing Mint come out on top has me thinking otherwise.

Maybe it's just my mind or something IDK.

EWG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've got Bodhi on a lightweight laptop and Garuda on my desktop. Partially because of... well, all the great features listed on their website, lol, but also moved back to an Arch base because of Steam (OS).

Reactions: TomRiddle

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Gentoo. 'nuff said
IM ON ARCH NOWW BITCHESSSSSSS
image.png

benone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! First post in this group. I discovered the existence of groups yesterday..!
I use Linux Mint MATE 20.3 and I use this distribution when I finally left aside Windows in 2017 I think.
I still like it very much, but it's also the only one I'm very used to.

I could try another distribution just for the fun of it. Arch seems rough, but satisfying since you build everything piece by piece to get really what you need.

Well, I also have a laptop computer with Windows 7 and Windows 10, it helps for some gaming stuff. But they are far away from gamers standards, I barely managed to run Octopath Traveler which is a miracle.

Reactions: anjanimal

anjanimal

33°C 🫠
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I've been using Zorin for the past 6 months, changed the HDD for SSD.
My ancient laptop never been better.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Manjaro GNOME
I also have Windows 10 Pro and macOS Big Sur on other drives in the system. Need every one installed for different reasons so I'm fortunate enough to have a single system that can do all of them without too much fuss.
Moved to Arch sometime since then, still using GNOME.

Reactions: SylverReZ

benone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@anjanimal - yes, a ssd drives seems to do miracles!!

I tried ArchLinux with the help of my flatmate the day before yesterday and yesterday. I tried by myself and managed to reach the partitioning part in the terminal. Then, my flatmate kind of installed a lot of basic packages, because he used Arch too. Mostly MATE desktop, etc.

Then, I got also suggested Void Linux, Nix OS.
Zorin seems very good for newcomers.

Maybe I'll try in my free time Nix OS... To be continued.

Last edited by benone,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@anjanimal - yes, a ssd drives seems to do miracles!!

I tried ArchLinux with the help of my flatmate the day before yesterday and yesterday. I tried by myself and managed to reach the partitioning part in the terminal. Then, my flatmate kind of installed a lot of basic packages, because he used Arch too. Mostly MATE desktop, etc.

Then, I got also suggested Void Linux, Nix OS and Zorin also seems very good for newcomers.

Maybe I'll try in my free time Nix OS... To be continued.
NixOS Is a great distro that has gained tons of fans recently, but I wouldnt call it good for newcomers.

benone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Ryab
Oh yes, I know that!
it's the way I wrote my sentence, sorry for how it sounded.
I edited!

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Fedora Kinoite (aka the KDE version of Fedora Silverblue). However, with all the recent IBM shenanigans at Red Hat, I might switch over to some other immutable distro. Idk what yet. I've been using Nix on a home server for a while, so maybe I'll try that for my desktop.

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: