What current-generation portable do you think is best?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Recorderdude, Apr 5, 2011.

?

What do you believe is the best portable available new right now?

1. DS (Phat, Lite)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DSi (i, XL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. PSP (1K, 2K, 3K, GO)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Iphone/Ipad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Android tablet/phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. nD (just kidding :P)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (specify, no emulation portables)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3DS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Recorderdude
    OP

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    OK, I've got to do a video-game related poll for my newspaper, so here's my question: What is the best portable available new right now? I'm not including emulator portables like the dingoo and pandora because they're not well known and might get some negative reception from the normal readers due to their main feature (older console/portable emulation) having to do with piracy. The 3DS, DS (which represents DS phat and lite) and DSi (representing the i and XL) will both be included since they are both still being sold.

So, vote!

Thanks guys. Actually running a poll will make the poll seem far more authentic. Plus I can crunch numbers and percentages of who picked what and make some kinda graph - the people I work with at the paper LOVE graphs.

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Is the 3DS a next gen portable?
    Because it's already out.

3. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    DS for me.

4. Recorderdude
    OP

United States
    no, I count it as current gen as it is being sold new right now. I just forgot to add it to the poll at first [​IMG] it's there now.

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Both consoles are pretty awesome but I'm gonna have to go with the PSP in the end. It really proved itself.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    It shouldn't be counted. 3DS and DS are two different generations. A 3DS is not a DS, it's the next generation of Nintendo Handhelds. The DS is 5th generation while the 3DS is 6th generation.

7. Recorderdude
    OP

United States
    Okay, I'm not going to screw around with the voting so I'll change it to "what is the best portable available new right now?" There.

8. machomuu

United States
    Works for me [​IMG].

9. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    The 3DS hasn't had enough time to mature for it to be the best portable. I always see people walking around with their 3DS playing Pokemon Black/White. For me, I have to go with the DSi XL.

10. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is really between the DS/Lite/i/XL, the PSP line, and the iOS line, right? Because the 3DS isn't in the same generation as the others. (Which has been said already [​IMG])

I don't like gaming on the iOS - I just can't game without buttons. The touch screen only controls for games like Street Fighter and Nova are just....bleh, for me.

Between the DS and PSP.....it's really tough. There are a ton of games on the DS that I love, and a bit less on the PSP. But the PSP has P3P, which is in my top 3 favorite games...grah. I'll give this one to the DS for the sheer amount of titles that I enjoy on it, but the PSP is definitely very close.

11. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    PSP, mainly because it's cheap and has a "something for everybody" library.

I mean the DS has both of those too, but the PSP has some titles that just sucked me in better than any DS title ever did.

12. machomuu

United States
    I'd like to vote but I'd have to biased for the DS because I've had one since launch and I've only had a PSP for a couple months during launch year, so I'll have to pass for now.

13. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I'm going to go with the PSP. The gaming experience is awesome (far nicer library than people give it credit for), controls are smooth, and it can do everything the DSi can do, but better. Hell, the DSi just tries to act more like a PSP, which I didn't really appreciate.

Next up would be the DS for me. 6+ years of gaming with it and a chance to thoroughly go through its game library, along with the GBA functionality, really made it a nice system. Better than the DSi in my opinion.

I'm not counting any of the iDevices or Android devices though, as I still will never believe that they should be considered handheld consoles, as that implies that they are built for gaming, which they aren't.

14. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I suppose 3DS.
    Simply because it's a DS...with nicer screens/buttons.

Though a DSlite has the bonus of DS+GBA games right now, and since the 3DS has no real games that gives the DSlite some major bonus points.

I like my PSP, and it has a few good games, but overall the good PSP game library is minuscule compared to the good DS game library.
    The PSP's top tier games do, IMO, outrank the DS, but sheer numbers really just crush that fact.
    Once Valkyria Chronicles 3 is localized...maybe my tune will change.

15. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    So far, I've already found a distinct difference between good PSP games, and good DS games. I mean, the limitations of the DS can't be helped, but damn, I don't think I've ever played a game as addicting and fun as Ys Seven on my DS. I mean, puzzle games like Picross 3D really kept me going with their originality and fun, but even that didn't last all that long. Maybe the PSP just has me enthralled since it's still fairly new to me, but there is a definite quality difference after only about a week with it.

In my opinion though, there are few great DS games. Plenty of good, but that isn't where the buying point is at. Games like Dragon Quest IX really made the DS for me. That and the Castlevania DS series are hard to beat for me in the long run. All of those games really display what can be done with the DS and shows that not everything needs to be padded for an E audience. The aspect of trying to cater to people of all ages hurt the DS library overall, but did boost the sales of the system and games in general, so Nintendo does do good with their strategies. The PSP only really suffers from trying to cater to a more teenage audience overall, and fails to touchdown with younger audiences. Between that and piracy, many developers jumped ship seeing that the system just wasn't do so hot to begin with. Too many developers jumped ship too early though. The PSP has really been picking up the past couple of years.

I love my DS to death, and that will never change. I've just played all there really is to play right now and won't be going back until the next big release I'm actually interested in. I'll have my lite forever, as my R4 helps to give it endless playability. It's just, you know, 6+ years.

Edit: I don't think the 3DS should be on the poll. It's a next gen handheld and shouldn't be compared to current gen. That, and it hasn't been out long enough for anybody to actually be able to say the system is better. It will take a couple of years before it can even compare. A missing game library and missing features make it hard to judge the 3DS so soon. Give it awhile to get on its feet.

16. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    DSi.
    The 3DS is a slight disappointment to me.
    And Sony Portables are.. meh.

17. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    3DS because I see it potential. At the same time if the 3DS wasn't there, I'm not sure between the
    psp and ds or dsi. It even harder if not looking at a hacking point of view.

Expect the psp go of course, I defiantly pick ds or dsi over that.

Oh and the nD is a good choice. [​IMG]

18. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Potential =/= what we know and can use now

19. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    "What do you believe is the best portable available new right now?"

I can use potential.

Base on potential, I think it the best portable available new right now.

There another system coming, but It can't be a option because it not available new right now.

20. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    3DS for me.