Hardware What Can This Run?

Shadowlurker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a new PC as this one... well its old.. Its from around 2006 and It still is running XP.. I'm not looking to get an AMAZING replacement just something that can some of the newer games out there like DoW2, LoL, HoN, Guild Wars 2 when it comes out, Maybe if it can stretch to it New Vegas And Skyrim, I don't have alot of money (actually at this presice moment I have none...) so I'm looking the the £500-600 mark.
Heres two I've come across.

• AMD FX 4100 (4 x 3.6 GHZ)
  • 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ
  • 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III SSD
  • 320 GB 7200 RPM SATA-II HDD
  • NVIDIA G 210 1 GB - Silent
  • Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
  • Black Micro ATX Tower Case
  • 350W PSU
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
  • 5.1 HD Sound
  • 24x Dual Layer DVD Reader/Writer
  • 6 x USB 2 and 2 x USB 3 Ports
  • Ethernet LAN Port

And
  • AMD FX 4100 (4 x 3.6 GHz)
  • Corsair 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ
  • 1000 GB 7200 RPM SATA-II HDD
  • Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
  • ATI Radeon HD 6770 1 GB XFX
  • Sharkoon T9 Green Case
  • 700W PSU
  • 5.1 HD Sound
  • 22x Dual Layer DVD Reader/Writer
  • 6 x USB 2 and 2 x USB 3 Ports
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
  • Ethernet LAN Port

Are these any good?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Really both PCs would have little to no trouble running mosts games, the 2nd choice being more powerful in terms of GPU. I'd go with choice 2, however I would suggest making your own PC instead (unless you are and these are what you came up with...). You could replace the CPU with any of the Intel i series as AMD processors tend to heat up more than Intel does. Else everything looks pretty good with the 2nd choice. RAM is in the sweet spot, good amount of HD space and a decent GPU, you should have no trouble playing newer games.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really both PCs would have little to no trouble running mosts games, the 2nd choice being more powerful in terms of GPU. I'd go with choice 2, however I would suggest making your own PC instead (unless you are and these are what you came up with...). You could replace the CPU with any of the Intel i series as AMD processors tend to heat up more than Intel does. Else everything looks pretty good with the 2nd choice. RAM is in the sweet spot, good amount of HD space and a decent GPU, you should have no trouble playing newer games.
First thing you say is incorrect. The first one will have trouble running most games, here's a benchmark with better hardware, 'cept for the GPU.
Do agree with you for the rest though.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
First thing you say is incorrect. The first one will have trouble running most games, here's a benchmark with better hardware, 'cept for the GPU.
Do agree with you for the rest though.
Of a game on high settings. It would run L4D2 on low-medium settings just fine. My point still stands, it'd run most games just fine.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Of a game on high settings. It would run L4D2 on low-medium settings just fine. My point still stands, it'd run most games just fine.
According to the benchmarks I linked there, the GPU in the first PC falls short for running a 2008 game at average settings. And even the highest settings in any Source game are not very demanding of a computer. Especially at that resolution.

Shadowlurker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its alright Rydian, Any help is help nonetheless.

I did think the second one was better just by looking at it but I couldn't be sure as technology is always changing... :P

Regarding building my own custom PC, I could as I'm a IT College student so I have the knowledge, But I just don't have the knowledge of whats best for the prices as such I prefer pre-built ones, However the site where I found these has a build your own option and I gave it ago, as such it came out more expensive so I guess that usually means its better XD.

Heres what It came up with.
Computer Case Black ATX Tower Case CPU Intel Core i5 2500 (4 x 3.3GHz) 6MB (Includes Free Order Of War Game) CPU Heatsink Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Memory 8 GB 1333 MHZ (2x4GB) - (DDR3) Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2 GB - (PALIT) (PCI-E) (Includes Rome Total War Gold II Game) Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 (Intel H61) Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound Networking Wireless LAN 54Mbps (PCI) Power Supply Corsair 700W Gaming PSU - Low Noise Hard Drive #1 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 32MB Optical Drive #1 Samsung 22x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - (SATA)

Am I safe to assume this is better for what I need? Or is it better off just going with the second one from my original post?

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought this was going to turn into a bradzx "I pay $139 a month to rent" type thread xD

Reactions: 1 person

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, that´s at the very least a solid start. However, if I were you, I´d spend some more on the motherboard if possible, so you can more easily upgrade the RAM if the future requires that you do so. Then again, with 8GB you´ve got more than enough for now.

Shadowlurker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I did choose the cheapest mobo so I'd be suprised if that wasn't the only issue :P, If I chose a better one that would put me up to £800 :S If I get the money I'll be sure to get that one ( with the alterations You guys suggest..) But As of right now that could take a while so, Is the second one able to do what I want (Lesser graphical game that I suggested and other like TF2, Good RTS' and MMO's?)

Shadowlurker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Someone near to me is selling this, How does this stack up to the others? And is it worth the price he wants (£520ish)

3D Vision Ready Gaming Computer /-Windows 7 Ultimate X64bit SP1/-AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor/-ASROCK 970 EXTREME 3 AMD SOCKET AM3+ MOTHERBOARD /--2X 1GB MSI 460 GTX Hawk Talons OC TOTAL OF 2.2GB SLI ENABLED/-Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Ram/-Samsung 500 GB Spin Speed 7200 RPM SATA II 6GB 64MB Cache Hard Drive/-LG GH22NS70 22x DVD+/-RW SATA Black/-850W POWER SUPPLY UNIT /-CIT MARS Mid Tower Case with 3 x Blue LED Fans & LED Clock Display

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's got more graphical horse power than any of the 3 other builds discussed here, but again, Bulldozer. And that Windows 7 Ultimate license is probably not legitimate. The rest's pretty good if you can make do with 500 GB of space.

Shadowlurker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bit curious about building my own as a couple of friends stated it can be cheaper, but I have a few questions...

1. If I do decide to build my own, do the parts I buy come with all the required leads and cables etc.?
2. Whats the Best website to get said parts.

I give up with the numbers...
Can you recommend me ALL of the parts I need (Case, CPU, GPU Etc.) The specs need to be able to handle a few games on at least high settings at 30+ FPS, (I say at least 30 because I've been a console gamer since I old enough to hold a NES controller and alot of console games are locked at 30 FPS, BF3 for example) the games I would like to play are...

AION
Guild Wars 2 (I saw some specs for it at CanYouRunIt when I was seeing how my current PC stacks up agains some classic games )
Diablo 3 maybe?
Skyrim
Sims 3
WoW
W@W
L4D2
Star Wars The Old Republic
And various others.

I don't Have alot of money (In fact I have non because I lost my job... Thanks GAME.....)
So as cheap as possible for the parts please. £400-800? Maybe?

It has to end up better than my current old piece of Poo.. If your interested heres my Old piece of poo's specs..
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz @ 3GHz
Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series @ 1440x900
185.17GB
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1GB
I think...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse