what can scummVM ds do?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Jerme, Sep 28, 2008.

Sep 28, 2008

what can scummVM ds do? by Jerme at 9:03 PM (1,452 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Jerme
    OP

Banned Jerme Banned

United States
    i heard it re prorams games to work on the DS... so can i like, reprogram a game like starfox 64 or super mario world?

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Wrong. I just makes old PC games like Secret of Monkey Island work on the DS. It's actually a port of a PC version. Only some PC games work on it.

3. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) was the name of the engine used in early point'n'click games from lucasarts, particulatly Maniac Mansion. SCUMMVM is a scumm 'virtual machine', the idea is that it emulates the engine on newer computers that no longer run dos programs correctly. Many point'n'click lucasarts games were based on this engine and support for many other games has been added to scummvm over the years. The DS port of scummvm allows a wide selection of OLD point'n'click adventure games to be run on the ds.

4. redviper

Newcomer redviper Advanced Member

Germany
    Actually it's not an emulator, but an interpreter.

5. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I think in this situation the distinction isn't really needed as the scummvm interpreter is emulating the original interpreter. [​IMG]

6. dalewebster1993

Newcomer dalewebster1993 Member

United Kingdom
    Hey. I don't really know where else to post this so I figure this is a good place. I have a problem with using scummVM on my DS. I downloaded the official scummVMDS off the website, so the copy should be working fine. But the thing never seems to recognise the games that I copy onto the folder. I'm trying to play the secret of monkey island (and I know, I need to use scummVM_A), which I'll admit, I don't technically "own". However, the copy that I "acquired" runs from a DVD so I figured it would work the same way as in the tutorial I saw when the guy just copies the files off the disc (at least I think that's what you're supposed to do). Anyway, I copied all the files that are extracted when I run the game setup (for the CD version, if that also makes a difference) onto my MicroSD card etc etc. But then, the game is never noticed in the ScummVM browser that appears after clicking 'Add Game".

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong here, I really, really wanna play Monkey Island and it looks HORRIBLE on my pc!

7. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I don't think you're supposed to run the installer, I believe you just copy the required files directly from the disc. Take a look at page, Michael. That article lists the required datafiles for each game to run in ScummVM. The article covers the PC version, so not all of the games listed will work on the DS version, but for those that do, the required files are the same.

8. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I've been using it to play Day of the Tentacle... Awesome game, that.

9. dalewebster1993

Newcomer dalewebster1993 Member

United Kingdom
    Ah yeah, sorry, solved it. It turns out it was working I just assumed that the browser in scummVM would actually detect and visibly show the files for you to select. All I had to do was select 'choose'. Was well annoyed when i found out.