Jerme

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i heard it re prorams games to work on the DS... so can i like, reprogram a game like starfox 64 or super mario world?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jerme said:
i heard it re prorams games to work on the DS... so can i like, reprogram a game like starfox 64 or super mario world?
Wrong. I just makes old PC games like Secret of Monkey Island work on the DS. It's actually a port of a PC version. Only some PC games work on it.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) was the name of the engine used in early point'n'click games from lucasarts, particulatly Maniac Mansion. SCUMMVM is a scumm 'virtual machine', the idea is that it emulates the engine on newer computers that no longer run dos programs correctly. Many point'n'click lucasarts games were based on this engine and support for many other games has been added to scummvm over the years. The DS port of scummvm allows a wide selection of OLD point'n'click adventure games to be run on the ds.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I think in this situation the distinction isn't really needed as the scummvm interpreter is emulating the original interpreter.
tongue.gif

dalewebster1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey. I don't really know where else to post this so I figure this is a good place. I have a problem with using scummVM on my DS. I downloaded the official scummVMDS off the website, so the copy should be working fine. But the thing never seems to recognise the games that I copy onto the folder. I'm trying to play the secret of monkey island (and I know, I need to use scummVM_A), which I'll admit, I don't technically "own". However, the copy that I "acquired" runs from a DVD so I figured it would work the same way as in the tutorial I saw when the guy just copies the files off the disc (at least I think that's what you're supposed to do). Anyway, I copied all the files that are extracted when I run the game setup (for the CD version, if that also makes a difference) onto my MicroSD card etc etc. But then, the game is never noticed in the ScummVM browser that appears after clicking 'Add Game".

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong here, I really, really wanna play Monkey Island and it looks HORRIBLE on my pc!

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I don't think you're supposed to run the installer, I believe you just copy the required files directly from the disc. Take a look at page, Michael. That article lists the required datafiles for each game to run in ScummVM. The article covers the PC version, so not all of the games listed will work on the DS version, but for those that do, the required files are the same.

dalewebster1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah yeah, sorry, solved it. It turns out it was working I just assumed that the browser in scummVM would actually detect and visibly show the files for you to select. All I had to do was select 'choose'. Was well annoyed when i found out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: