What can one do with a 3ds sdk?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xdarkmario, Aug 28, 2015.

1. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    So I heard that 3ds sdk has been leaked, and as I know a sdk is used to develop and debug the device is out for. I was wondering with the right knowledge can I develop official software for the 3ds as well as apps to run on official fw?

2. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    If you get it from Nintendo, then yes, otherwise it is not THAT useful. The main thing is the docs/wav tool.

3. flarn2006

flarn2006 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    I'm assuming you could use it to make homebrew, but I heard that since some of the libraries are statically linked you wouldn't be able to distribute said homebrew without also distributing some of Nintendo's code, which is copyrighted.

The good news is you don't need the SDK to make homebrew. It's not like developing it with the official SDK would enable you to run it on a 3DS without any hacks.

4. machinamentum

machinamentum GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2015
    United States
    If by "official software" you mean actually publishing a piece of software to the eShop, no. Nintendo has strict policies about the use of the SDK and those licensed to use it and the knowledge that goes with it. The SDK also does not contain the means to enable code to run on retail devices. However, there's nothing stopping you from becoming an official developer through their application process at http://warioworld.com.
    Otherwise, if you're interested in developing homebrew, there's technically nothing that you can do with the official SDK that can't be done with devkitARM & ctrulib (which you are encouraged to use because they are both free, as in freedom, and open source).

Last edited by machinamentum, Aug 29, 2015
    xdarkmario likes this.
  5. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Thanks for that info, I read up on the requirements of becoming a dev, pretty complicated.

6. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    There is actually a lot stopping someone. You need $2500, stable business, and have software you've already built and published.

7. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Yep Nintendo don't take noobs lol