what can i do with a wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by jamespoo, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2013

what can i do with a wii by jamespoo at 5:03 AM (1,972 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. jamespoo
    OP

Member jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    besides homebrew or playing backup games

what can i use my wii for

2. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    Well you can watch youtube on it. Can use it to prop books up in a bookshelf. It's surprisingly durable if you need that inch and a half boost to reach for something. You can take it apart and put a mini computer inside like the pi. You can take it out on a picnic, go surfing, take it to a fancy restaurant, share your fancy wine and give it a good rub down. The possibilities are immense!

Though I'd settle for some good ol' wii games.

Scuba156, nukeboy95, geoflcl and 3 others like this.
  3. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You can use the wiimotes for sexual stimulation when vibrating.
    you can throw the wiimote to a dog and play fetch.
    You can put coins into the disc slot and use it as a piggy bank.
    A paperweight.
    Put a leash on it and take it for a walk.
    Tell your friends its a new cell phone.

4. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can use it to plug up those pesky component inputs on the back of your television set that otherwise serve no purpose.

DaggerV, Scuba156, nukeboy95 and 5 others like this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    seriously dude
    [​IMG]

kehkou and Attila13 like this.
  6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You can play retail games on it!

Seriously, dude. What'll be your next question? "What can I do with a car aside from driving around in it?", "What can I do with food aside from eating it?", "What can I do with these cables aside from plugging them in?".

(Christ...I could go on an on with these sorts of questions :P )

7. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    You could use it to collect dust like most people did a few months after buying it :D

Celice and nukeboy95 like this.
  8. nakata6790

Member nakata6790 True Player

Greece
    - Thousands of retail Wii Games, Wiiware and Gamecube games natively. Even for the pickiest snub there are tens or even hundreds of worthwhile games to choose.
    - A wide range of ACCURATE console and arcade emulation on FBA
    - A good to great N64 emu
    - A good PSX emu for selected games
    - Great homebrew applications as well as ports of classic games like Quake 1,2 Descent, Doom, Duke Nukem etc.
    - If you rock a CRT, a full media center with WiiMC + Youtube on TV

- Having a Wii also gives you a ticket to ''my Wii is collecting dust'' meme club (which despite almost 900 MILLION Wii games sold is still beeing tossed around)

geoflcl and mrpinkeye like this.
  9. mechadylan

United States
    If you have and SD card full of pr0n, you can stash it in your Wii's SD slot. The Wii can't read it anyway, pretty sure you can't accidentally erase your goods, and no one will ever think to look for an SD card full of pr0n in a Wii. Also, I like where this thread is going.

10. wiifan_zangief

Newcomer wiifan_zangief Member

Germany
    This thread is hilarious. :bow:
    You can also check the weather with it... oh wait, it's actually an official feature.

11. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
  12. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    LOL at all the funny reply !!!

To go back to the original question, I use it also to watch netflix on my telly, is more convenient then hooking up the PC to the TV and can use the Wii remote to control it from the couch !

13. YamiHoshi.nl

Member YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

Japan
    Eat your Wii for dinner.

14. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    I hear its Wii-ly good for you too!

YamiHoshi.nl likes this.
  15. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Been using my Wii for YouTube a lot lately. I have all of seasons one and two of Highlander as two playlist :yaywii: There are also a lot of great Wii games to play. There's just so much that the Wii can do.

16. Kouen Hasuki

Norway
    You could use it like a chopping board for food or cutting fresh baked bread

17. RPG_Lover

Newcomer RPG_Lover Advanced Member

United States
    Youtube, Netflix, Games, messaging friends - if you have their FC, if you like Rock Band - get RB3, a big sd card then download the library of dlc that's available and rock your brains out.

Hmmm... to heavy for a kite.. how about using it as a building in a model diorama? A superhero figure could use it as a base.. or have Godzilla come and knock it down destroying it with the rest of the model city?

Install it in your car for gaming/homebrew/media on the go? Build a Wii laptop like various hardcore modders have done.

18. SoraK05

Member SoraK05 GBAtemp Regular

Kenya
    There is the homebrew channel with bootmii/boot2 (if your Wii is old enough for this) and bootmii/IOS.
    From there, there is the ability to play retail Wii games with a backup loader, as well as backup virtual console and wiiware games.
    You can also load GameCube games with homebrew providing your Wii has the GameCube ports on it.

If you would prefer to load backups outside of homebrew, and especially for GameCube games (besides the ability to play GameCube games with audiostreaming) you can get a WODE. It is particularly useful if you would prefer to load backups without a homebrew and maintain the Wii as though it is being used with retail discs, in the sense that the Wii message log will reflect games being all loaded from the Wii's Disc Channel.

It is also possible to use a virtual NAND with a homebrew like neek2o, with the ability to load multiple (region) NANDs on-the-fly. This can make playing backup virtual console and wiiware games more convenient so that your real Wii's NAND does not get too many modifications. It is also convenient to load alternate region games without homebrew (like with a WODE).

Outside of playing backups on the real/virtual NAND, there are a lot of homebrews available.
    There are homebrew games and applications, of which a lot of are on the wiibrew site (www.wiibrew.org). These generally require them to be loaded from the Wii's NAND as opposed to a virtual NAND, as the virtual NAND has restricted access to read/write to the SD/USB, especially for homebrew.

There are emulators for different consoles, there are games, and there are media players. There are also other types of homebrew, like setting up the Wii as a server of sorts.. there are a variety of homebrews. I would recommend checking the wiibrew site for a list of homebrews available..

There have been competitions from different places to promote entering a homebrew for a prize, so there are also homebrews to choose from with that nature in mind.

The Wii is generally meant to play games. Besides homebrew and playing games/backups on a Wii, I can't see a purpose outside of those besides using the internet. :)

You can officially browse the internet and use official internet based channels.. :)

19. mechadylan

United States
    Obtain a dustjacket for a hardback Stephen King novel of similar size and shape; "It,"seems about right. Cover your Wii with said dustjacket and place vertically on your bookshelf, you wacky pseudo-intellectual, you. Bitches love Stephen King.

20. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Well, for legit professional software or playing pirated games. :ha:

kehkou likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.