What are your thoughts on YouTubers trying to make money off free info and tools?

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cosplaykitsune.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay this is mostly because of some.dramam inside of a discord, but if left me thinking.

Do YouTubers deserve to be paid, to read guides and repost tools.

Let me give some background on this situation, So I was in a youtubers discord for help with tinfoil, the video said do xyz and it should work, it didn't.
Someone in the group another member have me help, and friendship, and quickly fixed the issue, boom we're baking potatoes.(Cooking with foils)

Everything is going fine and the dude is spamming @everyones like crazy, it's getting annoying, and then one of the posts comes up that Nintendo gave him the hammer and his whole channel got terminated.

Now me being a long time pirate on yt, I give him advice, the thinline between fair use education and piracy is payment.

He's constantly asking people for money, saying support my pateron, and even on his come back video he cried about it making like a dollar or so in generated ads.

Which crosses the line, because once you make money off exploring something it loses that education status and go into theft.

I mentioned this in the channel and it started a debate with another user, who said that asking people to pay $5 a month is reasonable, and if all the members in the group paid $5 then the owner of the channel could pay all the admins of the group to be here and give support.

Dunno why but that kinda struck a cord, maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't see why they think this dude should be paid for reading the data/passing along the tools found here and expecting to get paid?

You have a thriving community for this sort of thing, this board is an example of that where people come.and put together not just guides for free but the tools to make things work.
Sure you can donate, but they never demand you pay a fee for anything.

Which brings me to my thoughts, is it really fair for YouTubers like this guy to try to profit off the hard work that people post for free?

What's the general thought/feelings on that or am I just old with old ideals on the subject?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Do Youtubers deserve to be paid for video guides? Sure. Do they deserve to be paid by reading another guide and going step by step? Depends. Are they offering a more simplistic way through each step? Are they offering possible troubleshooting techniques? It's dependent on what effort they've made to to make their video viable.

Reactions: Takokeshi

delikana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any information needs to be verified. Many bloggers in the race for fame forget about security. The facts are already known when followers tried to repeat something after bloggers and this led to tragedies

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just watch their content, and either I use it or not. Without paying a dime. If they ask for money, I say ***koff. Next question.

Last edited by AncientBoi,

Sigma--

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm cool with people making money off of compiling information found elsewhere, but it should be sourced and (most importantly) actually be true information. Feeling entitled to the money is bad form to me though!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I literally don’t care. Caring feels like envy to me and I am not one for to be envious over something that I could be doing and choose not to be doing. Thus I don’t care when others do such things and make money.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they can and should.

They took the time to compile a video on how to use tools, edited the video in a fashion that gets the point across, and they took their time to do it.

that's like asking if someone should profit off of supporting Linux. Sure, Linux is free, but they took their time and effort to learn it and/or research it to break it down to a video level, which some people understand a lot better than reading through a wall of text.

If it's literally taking and reading a wiki verbatim into a video, then yeah, maybe they don't deserve that cash flow, but their supporters are the ones who make that judgement call. speak with your wallet and time; if you don't like their content, don't subscribe to their patreon, don't donate, and don't give them the views.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's presented in a way that helps the viewer, then I see no problem. E.g. Mr. Mario, ModdedWarfare, etc.

However, if it's lazily put together it gets bashed by everyone and sometimes gets little to no views.

Labradudette

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
depends how they do it, a lot of the free tutorials are shabby and hard to follow. if the paid stuff is more structured and clear to understand then it isn't a problem.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I literally don’t care. Caring feels like envy to me and I am not one for to be envious over something that I could be doing and choose not to be doing. Thus I don’t care when others do such things and make money.
You're the most envious person on this website though, so allow me to laugh at this post LOL

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
they can and should.

They took the time to compile a video on how to use tools, edited the video in a fashion that gets the point across, and they took their time to do it.

that's like asking if someone should profit off of supporting Linux. Sure, Linux is free, but they took their time and effort to learn it and/or research it to break it down to a video level, which some people understand a lot better than reading through a wall of text.

If it's literally taking and reading a wiki verbatim into a video, then yeah, maybe they don't deserve that cash flow, but their supporters are the ones who make that judgement call. speak with your wallet and time; if you don't like their content, don't subscribe to their patreon, don't donate, and don't give them the views.
There's literally a tool on the internet that will automatically grab popular posts from Reddit and read them with a computer generated voice, as well as top-upvoted comments, while random gameplay plays in the background. No input whatsoever from you. YouTube Shorts is full of these now.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's one assfuck youtuber I ain't gonna mention their name 'cus fuck them, but they basically make vids and posts about lewd games and stuff like that, they hide the names and everything behind their fucking patreon, so they're basically making money off other people's work. Not only that, this piece of shit also has the gall to take people's art, remove signatures and use said art to make publicity for themselves, without crediting the artist.
And if you point it out in the comments or something, they get removed by this fucker. And if they really get called out on something, this piece of shit dares to make a post about it but spinning the tale into making themselves the victim.
They also tag every video they make as being "Hollow Knight" the game being played, so they're probably tricking people by abusing craptube's tagging system too.

In that case, NO. They don't fucking deserve to have a cent or anything.
If, like Marc_FLD said, it's more well put and useful and such, as long as they post all the sources and references too, then yeah, sure, I suppose it's helpful, you could make some cash off it, I guess. shrug

Reactions: City

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately, this sort of thing happens, because the vast majority of sceners don't know any better. they look for the first youtube video, then do no more research. when that happens, it's kinda their own fault when they brick their system.

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
My mother tongue is Spanish and I can say many of my countrymen doesn't speak English and so, can't understand many official guides. Youtubers that translate this info and put it in a clear, simple manner deserve donations. @Grons said some people doesn't have interest/time to do their research and I add the language barrier is also a relevant factor.

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cosplaykitsune.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember what I posted, but I guess I'm on my own, as always.
I was curious XD
Post automatically merged:

My mother tongue is Spanish and I can say many of my countrymen doesn't speak English and so, can't understand many official guides. Youtubers that translate this info and put it in a clear, simple manner deserve donations. @Grons said some people doesn't have interest/time to do their research and I add the language barrier is also a relevant factor.
I get that, but you know there are some people who are reading the guide word for word, then have the nerve to send you to the page of the tutorial to download the materials, and somehow that's grounds for them to ask you for donations and to subscribe to a pateron .

Thats just not cool to me, especially when they dont say hey this is the person who figured the whole system out and posted the guide go donate to them, nope give me all the money.

they can and should.

But how is that fair to the person who actually made the guide, the guy who put the tool together and made the method that they're profiting off.
Half of the time these youtubers come here, they read the guide word for word, send the viewers to the site they got it from ( Rare that they host the files themselves) and say well I did a thing, gimme money hell most of them dont even credit the source or suggest to donate to them.
How is that even fair?

Do Youtubers deserve to be paid for video guides? Sure. Do they deserve to be paid by reading another guide and going step by step? Depends. Are they offering a more simplistic way through each step? Are they offering possible troubleshooting techniques? It's dependent on what effort they've made to to make their video viable.
Okay that i can agree with, I'm more on the folks that just read word for word, no changin' just this is the guide. Here is how it's done *Read the same post* okay that'll be $10 support me and my channel thanks.

Last edited by TekkamanChronos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)