Ryutso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ran across a couple things on QJ.

Waninkoko apparently released cIOS36 rev8 and his Firmware Updater v4.0 and I have some questions.

Does the Backup Launcher still function with Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev8 instead of WiiGators cIOS that came bundled with the Backup Launcher installer?
Will the Firmware Update v4.0 give my 3.2U system the 4.0 functionality (SD Menu) without disabling Homebrew?
Would I need Waninkoko's cIOS in order to use his v4.0 Firmware Upgrader or can I use WiiGator's cIOS that has been installed on my system since I started using his Backup Launcher?
What are the risks associated with both those files?

Note for the Mods: No links whatsoever, so I'm following the rules.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
your a bit behind
theres already cIOS36r10 now
It installs at the same place as the wiigator cIOS, so yes the backup launcher can work with it
The firmware updater really updates you to 4.0 , but you will keep all homebrew
Installing cIOS36r10 is not required, but recommended

sess

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
It's on rev 10 now. Those latest revisions are used for the USB/SD Loader. If you won't use it, no reason to update it then.

Does the Backup Launcher still function with Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev8 instead of WiiGators cIOS that came bundled with the Backup Launcher installer?

Yes.

Will the Firmware Update v4.0 give my 3.2U system the 4.0 functionality (SD Menu) without disabling Homebrew?

Yes.

Would I need Waninkoko's cIOS in order to use his v4.0 Firmware Upgrader or can I use WiiGator's cIOS that has been installed on my system since I started using his Backup Launcher?

I don't think so, not sure though.

What are the risks associated with both those files?

The same as always. I'm quite sure nobody has had their Wii bricked by installing cIOS or updating to 4.0U.

// EDIT

Woops, tj was faster ;o

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tj_cool said:
your a bit behind
theres already cIOS36r10 now
It installs at the same place as the wiigator cIOS, so yes the backup launcher can work with it
The firmware updater really updates you to 4.0 , but you will keep all homebrew
Installing cIOS36r10 is not required, but recommended

personally I recommend against 10 (use 9) because 10 gives me stability issues and no extra functionality that I want to use (9 can run USB loader, 10 can run games from SD using USB Loader)

Posts merged

QUOTE(sess @ Apr 18 2009, 03:19 PM) What are the risks associated with both those files?

The same as always. I'm quite sure nobody has had their Wii bricked by installing cIOS or updating to 4.0U.

actually, Ive heard of some people bricking their wiis by updating to 4.0 if they were using wanin's method. I used Nintedo to update to 4.0e

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wanin's updater only updates file that are needed by the new system menu, that includes IOS60, 55, 53, and 36 I believe (And the new systemmenu). Someone can call me out on this but I'm pretty sure that's all it does.

Dodi

Trophies
XP
Country
I installed Cios rev10 and updated through nintendo.
I've done it to 3 wii's so far, and it works perfect.
smile.gif

Ryutso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
Wanin's updater only updates file that are needed by the new system menu, that includes IOS60, 55, 53, and 36 I believe (And the new systemmenu). Someone can call me out on this but I'm pretty sure that's all it does.

But does not affect installed homebrew like the HBC and stuff right?

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to update your Wii to use the latest shop channel, etc. but keep your current firmware, WiiSCU does a much better job. It lets you choose which IOS files to update, it can auto-patch with the Trucha bug if you want, and doesn't have that annoying music that Waninkoko sticks on his stuff
wink.gif

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSCU

WiiSCU won't brick your Wii, as it doesn't touch the system menu, boot2 or IOS30.

It does have the OPTION to update (you pick which ones):
* IOS16
* IOS38
* IOS51
* IOS60
* IOS61
* News Channel
* Weather Channel
* Mii Channel
* Photo Channel (v1.0 or v1.1, your choice)
* Shop Channel

Ryutso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
Ryutso said:
Actually I just wanna add the SD Card Menu to my 3.2U Wii.
Impossible
SD menu is only for 4.0 (and higher)

Yeah I know that, which was why I was wondering whether or not I should update my Wii to get it. Just wonderin which one I should use.

If I do update, I'm gonna use Wanin's Updater.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: It's basically impossible to find one in good condition for around $150 now days