Gaming What are the most disappointed DS games you've played?

adamshinoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alex_0706 said:
the worest gane ever: dora ( and everyting of nick toons)
tetris
ace of empires

are you kidding tetris DS is addicting like hell
gba.gif

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Okamiden - looks great, plays like a dog, boom-ti-boom. In all seriousness, how can you make a game and forget to add the gameplay?

Also, the last Phoenix Wright game - the most disappointing game as it will never be localised, for shame, CRAPcom you sadden me greatly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, totally agree with the Zelda games being shite on the DS, touchscreen controls and rubbish stories ruined them, the GB/C ones were far better...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Guild McCommunist said:
machomuu said:
Actually a lot of people liked Zelda II, including me. It's not that bad of a game, really, I definitely like it more than the DS titles.

Also, to the latter part, why do I that was directed towards me?

Still, I'm sure most Zelda fans wouldn't hold it up over any other Zelda title.

Zelda II beats the CD-i games + Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass by miles.
I don't like the CD-i games either, but have you actually played them? 'Cause if you haven't, you'll be GANNON BANNED!

Kikaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goldeneye: The controls were rather choppy, the guns acted in a very similar manner, and the AI was simply ridiculous. The aiming was horrible and did not pace very well.

Tales of Innocence: I found this game to have a linear dungeon design which I absolutely despise in any game. The gameplay was short and the fact that I had to do massive hours of grinding before the kid with the two hounds also didn't appeal. (One of the first set of bosses in the game) I think that the Tales series NEEDS four players on the screen at one time! This is why I have avoided Tempest and Hearts. Oh how I wish I had Symphonia/ Graces/ or Vesperia...

Final Fantasy II something something translated: Though it introduced many new gameplay mechanics I was not impressed with the pacing or the story. I also haven't figured out the level-up system either. It seems as though my characters retain all the same stats despite leveling up and the fact that the Elf-like class is superior to everything else (Fire to hit multiple monsters and Sleep to stop bosses in their tracks) really makes the other classes pointless. I will retract this if others can prove me wrong.

Heroes/Children of Mana: The story is bland and the gameplay isn't impressive. I put this down after the first few hours of repetitive nonsense.

Suikoden: The voice acting was rather atrocious and the gameplay was too basic. It seems as though there is no story. If someone wants to convince me I'm wrong then feel free to do so, I have not put many hours into the game before setting it aside for something else.

Chrono Trigger: To be honest I'm not impressed. I bet it was one of the greatest games of all time to hit the SNES but this is about a decade or so later... At least revamp the graphics and music. I could've easily been more entertained playing it on the SNES instead.

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded: Scratch that, more like Kingdom Hearts Re:Used. At first I was rather excited to start off in new towns and the command deck at first was quite an impressive feature. However the second I stepped back into familiar worlds introduced in the previous version my interest began to die down. The lack of multiplayer and playable characters was also a step down from the previous. Not to mention the dialogue with 2-D sprites was rather.... meh.

Plants Vs. Zombies: I'm only disappointed in the graphics mainly. I thought that they could've done better. I'm waiting for PopCap to release a sequel to this game that includes new plants, zombies, and bonus features if they ever plan to release another one.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (All of them): This simply isn't my cup of tea. Others may enjoy it but I prefer the working, classic, competitive style of Pokemon as opposed to this bland dungeon crawler.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn: Firstly I would like to say this was the game I looked forward to the most (next to Tales of Symphonia 2. We know how that turned out...) I was willing to push past the tedious tutorial knowing that I would see the a slew of awesome characters and a number of old ones. However it did not live up to its predecessors... Though I praise the game play, new characters, and graphics there were quite a number of problems left to contend to. Firstly the fact that I am missing one Mercury Djinn is quite annoying. The fact that Djinn and summon tablets are PERMANENTLY MISS-ABLE puts a damper on the overall gameplay experience. Secondly the story wasn't impressive. Though I won't spoil it I'll just say that if a sequel is not released then this game will have been a complete waste. Thirdly I think that after 30 years in the game that there was too much change. I would have liked to re-visited a few more towns instead of having to travel through newly found empires. Finally there are way too many questions than answers that have arose from completing the game. However I am willing to retract everything I have mentioned as long as the sequel to the series will have answered/filled in all the gaps.

Even though these titles were disappointing that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy some of them. It's that I would've enjoyed them more if they fixed a few things...

drgnslayers

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mazor said:
heartgold said:
prowler_ said:
Zorua said:
You're technically calling the DS's selling point a disappointing game.
Selling point? Haha, NOPE.
New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS and even Brain Training beat Pokemon out of sales.

I brought my DSlite just for pokemon Diamond back in the day and I'm sure many other people have as well. They may not have huge sales like those other games but they certainly increase console sales when crazy pokemon fans want their hands on those games at any cost.
By mentioning 4 games that sold better than Pokemon, the illusion that Pokemon would be the selling point of the DS that Zorua is under was highlighted as ignorant.

No implication that Pokemon games don't sell well was made so your argument is irrelevant.

I didn't buy a DS Lite because of Pokemon (actually, I've only played the Red, Blue and Silver versions before hooking off thanks to a lack of time) but because of a promotion that made me get Brain Age for free. As for disappointing games on this console, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (never played) and Spirit Tracks (absolutely need the goddamn stylus to move Link), Rhapsody: The Musical Adventure (DS version only has Japanese lyrics while the PS version had the English lyrics), The Legend of Kage 2 (goddamn hard).

Although I respect everyone's humble opinion about thinking Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV are disappointing, I do not agree with them. However, CT was originally released in 1995. I suggest they play those games on the Playstation. BTW, in the DS version of FF IV, past level 70, attributes gains depends of the equipped abilities. They were random in the other versions, except for Rosa, who had at +1 bonus in all stats at level up. You could even end up weaker after a level up.

Before pronouncing on Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, the Mana games and Final Fantasy: Heroes of Light, I'll play them.

Jugo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Radiant Historia-I really didnt like the style of this game
Disagea DS- couldnt get into it and I really tried to like it
Lunar Knights
All DQ games-After playing 9, the rest suck
Golden Sun DD-Tried playing it but the game just sucks for me
Phantom Hourglass- Since I played Spirit tracks first I didnt like this
Strange Journey-Couldnt even get past the intro
Infinite Space-Horrible

Kikaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed quite a few people mentioned Radiant Historia... I absolutely fell in love with this game! The game-play was fairly decent, the story was riveting, the characters are unique, and the best part I loved about this game that I find lacking in many games is the many alternate endings! Though I wish the alternate endings weren't simply choose A or B, but more like how 999 did where one decision decided what endings you could or could not receive.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
First off I am an outsider already for liking BOTH Zelda DS games, though there were flaws with both of them, also a fan of GenIV Pokemon....

So
Assassins Creed- Altairs Chronicles; Same moveset, maps and size as a Java version of Splinter Cell I had on an old Nokia
Soul Bubbles; Overhyped, I enjoyed the first few levels then I got bored with it and it gathered dust
Pokemon B/W; Brought very little to the table, and unlike D/P/P/HG/SS I only played the Japanese versions without giving the English ones a full replay (I started, but got disheartened in that wretched desert)
Trauma Centre; Poor touchscreen control
Golden Sun- Dark Dawn; Again, I listened to the hype too much- I will try and play it properly at some point
Rune Factory; My own fault for playing 3 first (and Frontier)- was warned on here that the first two would be hard going after 3, but found 2 to be pretty impressive. The first one is a bit too slow and awkward to line things up

So there you have it. Feel free to troll..........

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Need for speed : Most wanted
Harry potter deathly hallow ( half blood prince was a great game )
Kingdomhearts RE:coded
Sims 3 ( nice game but not as good as i expected )

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
every need f speed game
yu-gi-oh 2010 i was i high hype for this game and then..............
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days​ the story fro me just sucks .maybe because its me first Kingdom Hearts game :S
black ops
ect

but i have just to ask ,soo you played Golden Sun Dark Dawn and you didn't liked it......maybe you played the firs one and this is not = but for me (i didn't tried the first )its was ok ,im asking because this is one of my favourite games Oo

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Okamiden. I liked the game (or maybe white puppy) but I just don't want to play it for some reason. Maybe becouse it's just running around and killing enemies is so easy? I would like one okamiden plushie, though.

Kingdon Hearts: re:coded. I just liked 386/2 days so much better. Were camera and quick commands actually better on 368/2? Delete that data Riku and give me some hot character whit some online gameplay please!

Trauma Center: UTK. Well I wasn't dissapointed in it at first but after playing UTK2 things changed. They improved game so much that I just can't stand first version anymore. Why they haven't published second one in EU?

WarioWare D.I.Y. I was hyped about this at first but after making couple minigames it got really boooring and there isn't actually much to do since I'm not that creative. Also there was only tapping option? Where did swipe, turn, blow, cut and buttons go? I'm still thinking how people who doesn't read instructions play this game becouse instruction was loooong!

There are several other games but I wasn't dissapointed in them becouse I wasn't hyped about them. Also there are reversed cases like: 999, Professor Layton and EBA.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFTA2 was the biggest let down I have ever played. I wanted that game to be so good and waited so so long for it and when I finally got it... Bleh.

invidente7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dementium 2

tecnically speaking its a great game but the ENDING nearly ruined it for me

You managed to to kill the conqueror worm and proceed to get out of the hospital, and but THEN you look at a mirror...and its the doctor who then proceeds to drag you to the other side, THE END

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
By far my biggest disappointment on the DS has got to be Duke Nukem: Critical Mass.

I almost cried playing it and i definetly cringed most of the time. No it's not just because of making Duke look bad. But because it's one of the select few games out there that actually had graphics above the rest, and it all got butchered with bad design.

Back when I saw the first shots of the game, I assumed a side-scroller would suck. There were however many who thought to the game I never played - the Manhattan Project. I have never played MP and so I was left to examine the upcoming sidescroller without bias. Looking back at the preview vids now, I actually think they look better than the game. And back then I was thinking... eh, it'll prolly look better than that. It's a beta afterall.

The moment I took the most basic controls of Duke, I felt sick. The first thing you do if you haven't really bothered reading the instructions or just to get the commands mapped to your brain, or just out of pure need to actually see they work, you press all the buttons and see what they do. When I first pressed the shoot button and saw him lift his arm like a stiff action figure, shoot, then lower it, I knew this was gonna suck. Because I knew that being a basic control, I was gonna see a lot of that throughout the game. To be fair, all the other weapons are held and fired in a decent manner, so I don't understand how they fucked that up.

Moving on to the weapons... no real complaints here, and Duke's always had good guns. What's bothersome is the way you select them. On the bottom screen you have an autoscrolling list of weapons, and you have to tap the gun in order to switch. The problem here is that ALL the weapon slots are showing, even guns you don't yet have show up as [?]s. So at a point where you only have 1-2 weapons and you have to tap one among that sea of question marks, not to mention they're sometimes not scrolled onto screen at that moment, is really bothersome. It makes more sense when you have more of the guns cause you know no matter what you tap you'll select a gun, but at first it's really annoying. The autoscrolling creates more issues than it solves. You'd rather have a certain selection of weapons you're fond of on screen at a certain moment than have them scrolling endlessly.

Remember when I said the demo looked better? Yeah well, partly my fault here, I didn't read up on the instructions. For an early part of the game I wasn't able to turn the camera until I learned how. Duke is very large on screen and more often than not you don't see the aliens shooting at you on the screen. The problem is that in order to see you have to press AND HOLD L or R. It's a must. If you're as much as exploring you still need to hold L or R just to be safe. Enemies respawn as soon as you get just a screen away from an area. So you're constantly holding down L or R to see and it gets really tiring after a while. Since it's such a mandatory thing to do, you'd think they'd've at least made it so you can just press L or R once and have the camera locked in place, or maybe the camera could autoturn whichever way Duke's facing. But no.

Seeing who is shooting you is a bitch even when you hold the buttons down. When you get shot, all you see is a flashing dot on your body from the direction you got hit. It's so discrete that in the heat of the battle an enemy could start shootin you from behind and you wouldn't know cause you're facing front, and you wouldn't notice the flash. A Half-Life approach on the problem with the originating area of the screen turning red could have solved it. Also seeing the enemy bullets as a straight line between you and the attacker could also fix it. This can also be a problem for you. It's sometimes hard to see wether you're hitting an enemy or not, particularly if you're in the air and shooting.

The fights are pretty uneventful. Run and shoot, run and shoot. Unlike Contra there isn't any shooting up or down or diagonally, so if it's in front of you, you just shoot. There's also an ability to kick for close combat, but you won't use it much and it's a joke even against simple foes. You'd think he'd be more damaging or could knockback or stun enemies since his kick is only close range, but the enemies are unphased and will continue shooting at ya. Most fights are a no brainer where the player and foe stare eachother and shoot until one of em drops dead. Not really entertaining.

I didn't get too far into the game, and I personally don't intend to. From the very beginning it feels like crappy, cheap design mixed with good graphics and music, and Duke's cheesy lines, which is a sad waste.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sands of Time - I was pretty much hyped about it and the first few hours were good, but somehow I got bored by the time I got my fourth team member. Maybe it was because I knew that the battle system was totally broken if you knew where to put your points and something about World Destruction just didn't turn me on.

But to be truthful, I get disappointed only with those games about which I'm hyped or looking forward to, so there are dozens of other games which I've tried but didn't like but they didn't really disappoint me.

fiftyten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sigh* all the blatant Zelda hate hurts my heart. I loved the 2 DS Zelda games, touch controls and all. It seems like every Zelda to release since OoT has an unusual amount of haters.

Also I'm confused how Chrono Trigger could be disappointing. If you played it before, you should already know what to expect. If you didn't play it... well I never had until the DS version and I absolutely loved the game.. and I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of JRPGs, either.

Yoshi's Island DS was disappointing. I'm a huge fan of the original and wanted to like this one... but it just wasn't that fun for some reason. I think the baby swapping mechanic was poorly implemented. I would have rather just had a whole world dedicated to one baby rather than have to keep changing them in every level.. that got annoying fast.

Mario and Luigi PiT was somewhat disappointing too, going from the far better Superstar Saga. Thankfully the series redeemed itself with Bowser in a big way. No pun intended.

I'm surprised no one has listed Metroid Prime Hunters. I don't hate it per se, but it certainly did not do the Prime series any justice whatsoever. I'd love to see a 3DS sequel done right. One thing the game did well was multiplayer.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned Scribblenauts. The game had an extreme amount of hype from both DS enthusiasts and the whole of the game industry but it failed due to the terribly clumsy controls and uninspired "challenges". Super Scribblenauts was much, much better but still left something to be desired.

Other games:

Sonic RPG - I guess I shouldn't have been surprised here, being a Sonic game and all, but hey, the other DS Sonic games are actually pretty good.

Avalon Code - This game had a lot of promise, and I know it has its supporters but the clumsy inventory management for the book and the codes just killed the experience.. I couldn't trudge through that mess.

Infinite Space - Another game I was highly anticipating, due to its promise of length and epic storyline, plus space battles. I know anyone who has actually played through the game love it for its story and very deep ship customization. Unfortunately the gameplay on which the amazing story and customization rests upon was just not fun in my opinion.

Last but not least, Star Fox Command. All I can say is that I need me some Star Fox 64 3DS to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Morning