What am I doing wrong?? (R4i and 3DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by vexorg, May 8, 2014.

1. vexorg
    OP

vexorg Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2014
    I've been a long time R4 owner, got some of the very first one in Hong Kong many years ago, so not a noob when it comes to the R4.

My daughter recently got a 3ds xl, so I got an R4i RTS card for her. I used the old 8Gb microSD card out the old R4i and everything works with the v1.79 software from the site.

The problem is that none of the rom files show properly. It takes a long time for the game list to show, then the roms have no icon scrolling across (like the moonshell or nds files used to do). When the roms are selected, a blank message window appears with windows style red 'x' in the corner, and nothing else happens.

The 3ds is version 4.5.0-10E. I tried to updated the 3ds firmware and can't connect it to the internet. Have switched of the router security (smart suggestion nintendo, turn off all home wifi security to have a simple kids console online), connection test is good, 3ds fails due to no internet connection(!!).

2. RomAnOCrY

RomAnOCrY GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2011
    France
    Do not update your 3DS !!!
    You can, if you want, play with 3DS games (not only "old" DS one) with a flash cart like Gateway or MT-Card !

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah plus he then gets another NDS card so he could run NDS roms on that :D

i suggest the OP read up on 3DS flashcards, it would be alot better than just NDS roms, and also many cards where blocked between 4.5 and 7.1 so if you update your current card may be blocked anyway

4. vexorg
    OP

vexorg Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2014
    I did read up before buying, the R4i site claims the RTS card should work with all later DS firmware. It think you may have misreads my post, it is .3ds files I'm trying to get working, the .nds files load fine.

Also confirmed as a new genuine card as I've been caught out with fake dodgy cards in the past. I've not found anywhere that says the R4i 3DS won't work.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    ok you must not of read up properly

.3DS games only work on gateway/MT or one of the clones

what you have is just for playing NDS games

and just for the record the R4 branded card that plays 3DS games is called R4i deluxe edition and is a crappy clone of gateway that has since been blocked so will not be receiving any future updates

6. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    The R4i RTS does not run .3ds games. If you want to run those get a Gateway or MT card.

7. jamsplodge

jamsplodge Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    Don't get an R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe though. Avoid like the plague.

8. vexorg
    OP

vexorg Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2014
    Bugger, that's a bit annoying. I thought the deluxe edition just meant it had a flashy box. Bit of deceptive advertising on there, not mentioned anywhere. Oh well, at least it was cheap.

Never mind, what's the best option (and exact model!!) needed from R4, Gateway or MT to make it work right?

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    gateway or MT both have pretty much similar features, but in my opinion gateway does it better :P
    gateway have their fans MT have their fans too, but gateway where indeed the original card makers and have pretty much proven they are dedicated to providing new features.....but MT isnt a bad second choice, just so you know you will see many resellers trying to shift R4i deluxe edition/3dslink/orange3ds, these are all exactly the same card and are all equally dead in terms of future support regardless of what resellers/websites claim

10. vexorg
    OP

vexorg Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2014
    This gateway looks like a bit more reading required, red card, blue card. Looks like firmware patches, need to check if the original games still work.

The old nds R4 was so much simpler

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i looks a bit daunting at first, but really once its set up its pretty simple.
    1) copy files to 3DS's SD card and blue card's SD and run installer
    2) go to system settings and DS profile
    3) copy roms to Red card SD

and thats the basics if you want to set up emunand etc you can but thats all the *required* steps all the rest are bonus extras if you want to set up a 7.1 emunand etc

12. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    If you want to play .3ds games it is important NOT to update the firmware on your 3DS as none of the flashcarts mentioned work on higher than fw 4.5.

13. vexorg
    OP

vexorg Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2014
    Does the gateway support multi-rom now? (assuming multiform means more than 1 games on a microsd), and the video link review on youtube says only 1 game per microsd.

A link to a UK supplier says only 1 game per microsd: http://www.3ds-gateway.co.uk/gateway-3ds-faq-ezp-1.html
    is that site a genuine gateway supplier site, or a bit like the many R4 clone sites that appeared?

14. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Gateway does support multi-ROM. You're looking at a fake Gateway site. The real one is found at http://gateway-3ds.com

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    looks like its just an old description/guide, there has been a few people with fakes branded as gateway cards but tbh its pretty rare,have a look online for any feedback of people using the site before buying with them though....a quick look didnt really show much up

teensy.co.uk where the only official uk reseller but it now appears to be out of stock and weirdly they are no longer listed on the gateway resellers list :huh: