Western Digital Hard Drive Trouble

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by awssk8er, Dec 7, 2010.

Dec 7, 2010
  1. awssk8er
    OP

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I recently upgraded to a 320 GB WD HDD from a 60 GB hard drive, and it won't work.

Now, I'm not exactly sure which hard drive it is, because my brother ordered it for me. But, I checked the compatibility list, and every WD 320 GB hard drive works except the one labeled "Issues" but the problems description doesn't fit the problem with mine.

Anyway, I normally used Config USB Loader with the hard drive WBFS formatted.

When I try to boot it up with the hard drive, I start it up and it gets frozen on the screen where it says "Configurable USB Loader".
    When I try to boot it up without the hard drive, it says please mount HDD, and starts counting. If I plug in the HDD while it's counting, all my games show up, but none of them launch.

I also have Wii Flow, which I haven't used in a while.
    I gave it a shot by starting it up, and it just froze on the start up screen. Without the hard drive plugged in, it shows me a picture of the back of the Wii and says to insert the hard drive into the USB port closer to the edge (Which I always have done).

Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    first, abandon WBFS for FAT32 if you can....now would be a good time as you don't have much on the drive i assume.....you can use Wii Backup Manager to save any games you need saving (assuming you have the Computer HDD space...)

what cIOS are you using?

some WD HDD's have had some response time issues that i've read about on the forums...it sounds like it could be that....if it is, you may be SOL....although i've never had any issues with any of the 5 WD drives i've used.....(3 different 320GB passports, 500GB Passport, 640GB Portable Elements)

3. awssk8er
    OP

United States
    I believe I am on IOS249. I am not positive though. I remember I had to change it to get Metroid: Other M to work off my hard drive (There's one that you need for Dual Layer games, and that's the one I have).

And last night when I got the hard drive I put all my games on it, so I rather not format, but if I have to, it's not a problem.

Also, can Config USB Loader read FAT32?

4. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Newcomer Obi-Wan Kenobi Member

Brazil
    Configurable USB Loader loads WBFS, FAT32, NTFS. So i'd recommend NTFS.

5. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    newer versions of pretty much all the loaders can read FAT32....FAT32 is more stable, and a pile of other benefits....no cons....

if you updated IOS249 recently with whatever was current when M:OM appeared, it should be fine. although, it might be useful to rule out whether you're using an outdated version....you can get the more recent versions from Modmii

i don't know man, if your last drive worked fine, and switching drives was all you did, then it's gotta be the drive (slow response time issue)..... i had a conversation with someone who was having drive issues last night....heres the thread....you can also check it with DLG as i had him do; i don't know if a slow response time issue will show up though...but who knows, maybe it's a different issue that will show up.

6. awssk8er
    OP

United States
    Alright, thanks guys.

I'm just going to format it to FAT32 and then try it.

7. awssk8er
    OP

United States
    I formatted the hard drive to NTFS, and it still wouldn't pass the start up screen.

I then updated my CFG from v6 to v6.1, and I still have the same problem.

Edit: I fixed it. I don't know what it was, because I did a few things.

- I changed the USB cable I was using, just because I wanted a smaller one.
    - I reformatted it as WBFS.
    - I re-installed my cIOS (I had Hermes on my HBC already, and just re-did it).