Weird RAM problem help

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by jDSX, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I have this problem with some of the RAM in my computer, It has 6gb of ram now when I go to into windows system it shows that I have 2gb installed insted of the 6gb. Turns out I had to update the BIOS which I need and it was showing the 6gb and working fast no problems, then I scanned for viruses and it rebooted strangely and acted slower and looked in my system again shows 2gb of ram :huh: I used cpu-z, Argus monitor and Belrec and they all show that I have 6gb installed cpuz shows both slots are used and are in use. I asked HP about it and they couldn't figure the problem out (figures).

I am kinda getting worried here as if I screwed something up with MSE I never knew it could do that, anyone know how to get my other 4gb of ram to show up? It's two PC3 DDR3 ram a 2gb and 4gb.

EDIT: Ran Memtest and it shows up there and active why is this happening I have an x64 OS windows 8.1 pro :cry::cry:

Last edited by jDSX, Aug 21, 2015
  2. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    So I switched the ram chips and only 1 ram chip is working I guess the second ram holder is broken, a pin might of became bent or is shorted. Damn. Wish I knew what happen to it because it was working then just stopped after the scanner.

3. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Bump really need the help

4. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Does anybody know what is going on here?

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Naturally, since nobody has answered yet, nobody has a confident answer to your question.

It sounds like either a faulty DIMM (memory stick) or a faulty DIMM slot. It could also be simply dirt between the DIMM and the slot, or possibly an electrostatic short. Diagnostic steps would be to take out one DIMM, see if it works in slot A1, try the other DIMM in slot A1 (if A1 works), then continue to try each DIMM in each slot. This will verify if there are bad slots or if either of the DIMMs are bad.

As another step, you can try rubbing the contacts of the DIMM gently with an eraser. This will clean any static charge as well as remove any foreign substance (dirt). Don't go too hard because you don't want to wear out the contacts. Also, when you put the DIMMs in, make sure they're in firmly and securely. Most slots are designed that pushing them in evenly and firmly at both ends (don't see-saw it) will snap the clip shut for you so you don't need to clip it manually.

6. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Alright, thanks for the reply I'll try the eraser method also like I said I couldn't see very well in the fualty slot (in this case is slot 2) if it has a bent pin or dust in it that needs to be blown out of it. I did find out that the slot that I am having a problem with does give away a little not sure if that is normal?

I happen to be stuck on single channel now.

7. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Don't blow into the slot with anything but compressed air. If you do it with your mouth you run the risk of gumming it up