Hacking Weird Issue W/ Metroid Prime Trilogy, USB Loader GX vWii

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some reason, whenever I select metroid prime 3 corruption as part of the metroid prime trilogy, it randomly restarts the system. it doesn't happen every time, but the hdd activity light just stops at some point, then boom, console restarts. anyone have any ideas? metroid prime 1 and 2 seem to work okay.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A google search suggests that it could be a compatibility issue, but I'd assume that it's a bad dump.

What happens if you go into the games settings, set alternate DOL to list on game launch and then select Metroid Prime 3?

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll check tomorrow. I downloaded a second copy to test it. someone on reddit said most copies of metroid prime trilogy are bad dumps, so he suggested the copy I downloaded. it's weird, because once the system reboots, the game works (tried twice), but the game doesn't work the first time. I think metroid primes 1 and 2 are okay as they both worked. it's almost as if there's a problem going to the split wbfs, since it's a dvd-9 game. I assume mp3 is on the second layer while 1 and 2 are on the first layer, but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: blackb0x

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A google search suggests that it could be a compatibility issue, but I'd assume that it's a bad dump.

What happens if you go into the games settings, set alternate DOL to list on game launch and then select Metroid Prime 3?

the second download was exactly the same (tested both the iso and the subsequent wbfs with a hex editor, hex compare). however, I think I found the problem. someone in another thread, when I looked up the problem, mentioned disabling emunand, so I turned it to off. I've tested the game three times from a starting position (plan to test it tomorrow again), and each time, metroid prime 3 worked.

Last edited by godreborn,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have partial emulation so I can store my saves in my emunand. It only affected metroid prime 3. Though emulation also affects skyward sword. That game also sometimes boots with it enabled, other times black screens. With it disabled, it always works.

Reactions: blackb0x

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I had the desire to do it (my use of my Wiis are limited largely to GBA linkup and LAN play, so I have no drive to learn how to code for the Wii to do this) I would work on something to allow transfer of save files over a network.

People who use multiple consoles and Dolphin seem to be getting driven up the wall by the save file problem.

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@godreborn I'm on a real Wii so my results may be different to a vWii. But like you, I found that the third game in the trilogy crashes. I also found that disabling emuNAND fixed it. Thanks for the suggestions here.

However, I also found that setting 'Select DOL from game' fixed it, even when using emuNAND saves. I can't find anything on the internet suggesting this is an alternative fix though, so maybe the game will continue to crash as I progress it?

Last edited by fandango,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
selecting alternate dol is a suggestion I got from @blackb0x , but it seems like a hassle to select the third game manually each time I want to play it. I only tested the game, I think, because the wbfs was corrupted the first time as I only had one of them, when the game is a dvd9 game. I don't know if that might have something to do with the crashing issue or not, because I assume that the third game is on the second layer of the disc, since it's like the size of the first two games combined. I didn't test the corrupted version. I redownloaded it, then transferred it over with wii backup manager. it took less than two minutes to transfer over, which was lightning fast, so I thought something might've corrupted it a second time.

Reactions: fandango

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I had Metroid Prime - Trilogy and it weighed 7.38GB (wbfs) and crashed when exiting the shuttle with emunand on
opened iso with WIIScrubber and the partition was missing: UPDATE
created a new dump and now it weighs 7.55 GB (wbfs) I left the patition: UPDATE and the game does not crash

Reactions: fandango

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @DinohScene hi