We need a rule that says that threads be closed after a certain period

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't like necro-resurrecting as the next guy, but I guess you can't really do something like that, as sometimes it's not a bad idea to bump a thread just to ask another question.
If every noob would do that, the forums would be a lot more cleaner, without a lot of dupe threads like "I CAN'T SETUP MY r4!!1".

Too bad that most of the times threads get bumped for a stupid reason
tongue.gif

Krestent

What to post?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mezut360 said:
no i read a thread from 1 year ago and it really helped me
Ummm....That's not what we're talking about. Locking threads prevents people from POSTING on threads that were last posted on a year ago.

Krestent

What to post?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
No, they need to stay open so if someone ever needs more help on the same thing he/she doesn't have say everything over again in a new topic.
What?!?!? If the thread is outdated than they'd need to explain everything anyway!

And BTW what's with your info saying "Banned!"

Krestent

What to post?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheWingless said:
tattar8 said:
And BTW what's with your info saying "Banned!"
It's a custom title you can make (or any other title as you wish) after like 500 posts. To actually be banned, your "member group" would probably be "Banned!"

Oh, it's custom. It had me confused for a while. I know about custom banners.

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why would you do this? The reason why GBAtemp has a lot of post counts and slowdowns is because we don't lock the threads so people can spam and increase the traffic. This will result into more money from ads.

Krestent

What to post?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Example: A while ago I saw a dead thread about someone asking for help with softmodding their wii with cIOS rev2(!!!!!) from mid 2008, I think, and then someone posted the reply this month, "Follow xzxero's guide"

OtakuGamerZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
No, they need to stay open so if someone ever needs more help on the same thing he/she doesn't have say everything over again in a new topic.

Why don't you make it so before posting in an old thread a warning comes up with something like...

WARNING​
"You are about to post in a thread over XX months old. Posting in old threads needlessly can get you banned."

Krestent

What to post?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OtakuGamerZ said:
playallday said:

Why don't you make it so before posting in an old thread a warning comes up with something like...

WARNING​
"You are about to post in a thread over XX months old. Posting in old threads needlessly can get you banned."
Yes, I like that better!!!

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
OtakuGamerZ said:
playallday said:

WARNING​

I prefer that idea, minus the bit with the banning, but a warning would be good.
smile.gif

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't understand why anyone would even give a crap about this subject. If you see an old thread skip it. There's plenty of bad threads that are posted every day. Why not lock new threads that are stupid.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The notice about an old thread has been used on other forums
smile.gif

Keep in mind though, a bump is only a useless post that updates the thread. If the post is good quality (even reviving an old EoF thread), then there should be no problem with it.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I think a simple reminder at the top when your posting would be good.
Like this site
QUOTE said:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
I shows up at the top when you start to reply.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
I don't like necro-resurrecting as the next guy, but I guess you can't really do something like that, as sometimes it's not a bad idea to bump a thread just to ask another question.
If every noob would do that, the forums would be a lot more cleaner, without a lot of dupe threads like "I CAN'T SETUP MY r4!!1".

Too bad that most of the times threads get bumped for a stupid reason
tongue.gif
That.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: