We need a moratorium on resolution, textures etc...

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Since 2006 (esp. since 2008) I have been mainly playing on Wii and Wii U. I am currently playing newer and older PC games on a laptop. I wish graphics progression had stopped around PS3-ish era. What´s the point of 4K (unless you play splitscreen on a huge screen), real-time reflection, better and better textures etc? Immersion comes from scenery (see Mario Galaxy, Okami, ...) and good animations. I was surprised to see that Lara Croft stretches out her arm towards the wall (if there is one) when walking down stairs in Tomb Raider 2013. That´s what I wish game producers would focus on. Even the latest games still have goofy animations while you can see every pimple on the character´s face... what´s next? tiny white hair growing out of pimples?
Some cartoon characters like Kirby or Pikachu already reached their prime with regards to graphics in Smash Bros Brawl. Let´s have a moratorium on resolutions, new graphical effects etc.

Last edited by FAST6191,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
4k is OK if you are playing at distance -- hard to be a sniper when your enemy is a single pixel as opposed to a few.

That said I don't disagree with elements of the sentiment -- the race for realism does often come at the cost of fun, if only because having to pay your dedicated night time skybox artist (plus all the other dedicated roles that being at point means you likely employ) means all the edges get sanded off to try to appeal to the broadest audience.

lamb-duh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is something I really appreciate about Nintendo. Their consoles rarely try to have the most raw processing power, the best video resolution, &c. Instead, they just try to make good games and make the most out of the tech they do have available to them.

But I'm really only interested in playing games that are more than a decade old anyway..

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: 80% is nintendrones