Hacking WBFS vs FAT32

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I set my wii up a while ago and have been keeping it mostly updated. But I never had a reason to update my hard drive (meaning my hard drive is still wbfs). I'm getting a new hard drive and just had a couple questions.

1) I'm pretty sure WBFS partitions can't store more than 500 games, is that true for fat32, too--or should I make multiple fat32 partitions? (not that I'll ever have that many games, I'm mostly just curious)

2) Are there any special folders I need to set up when I make the fat 32 partition?

That's about it. NTFS isn't really an option for me 'cause I use my wii to rip my games, and I hear NTFS isn't compatible with that. Also, for reference, I use config usb loader. Thanks.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wbfs = 500 games per partition
fat32 = unlimited so you only need 1 partition

Will need a wbfs folder but whatever program your using to transfer games to the hard drive should create the folder for you.

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
claudekennilol said:
1) I'm pretty sure WBFS partitions can't store more than 500 games, is that true for fat32, too--or should I make multiple fat32 partitions? (not that I'll ever have that many games, I'm mostly just curious)
If formatted with the right tool, it can contain more than 500 games (wit). Not sure what the support is by the loaders though, I think we can handle that in both wiiflow and gx.

Edit: this doesn't mean that I prefer WBFS. On the contrary, I think WBFS should not be used anymore.

RVD420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ease of migrating to a larger drive, as well as using the drive for uneek, triforce, or media files are big reasons to go with fat32.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
The only disadvantage of FAT32 is that you have to split the game into 4GB chunks, and place them as .wbfs files. This can easily be handled by Wii Backup Manager and such. WBFS is pretty much phased out by FAT32 now, though there really isn't anything wrong with it if you want one drive dedicated to Wii games. It's just that FAT32 has better file recovery, and is more convenient in the way that your computer can natively read it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ganons said:

Not all wii software supports NTFS, so unless you need it for some other reason then FAT32 is better.
The major advantage is HBC/forwarders can load the apps off FAT32, so you only need one drive & partition.
No sdcard required anymore.

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
FAT32 all the way. Having to convert to .wbfs files to fit in the 4GB file limit was a bit of hassle, but now USB loaders are ripping games too, it's a non-issue. Being able to be read by your normal computer, plus being able to use homebrew apps with it, and the ease of transferring all the data onto a bigger drive (should you wish to upgrade), makes FAT32 the obvious choice over WBFS.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
With the ease of converting .iso to .wbfs files on a FAT32 drive, the only reason not to switch is that you don't want to take the time to switch a current drive. If you're starting a new drive, do yourself a favor and go with FAT32. Splitting a game to 4gb files is really no more work than just copying it to a WBFS partition, it's just a different option to choose. Also, a random thing, but when using Wii Game Manager, I suggest using subdirectories (e.g. use the option "convert to .wbfs files with subdirectories" regardless of split size) because it helps keep the games organized.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
yes, that's why fat32 uses wbfs files

check out wiibackupmanager to convert/transfer your Wii games to/from any hard drive formatted as FAT32/WBFS/NTFS

Cool, that's good to know. I have a new drive coming in so I will try using FAT32/wbfs files. It'll be nice to have everything on the hard drive instead of using the hard drive/sd card combo.

1cowabunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a 1TB drive. I want the games to be on a FAT32 partition, the apps, game images, etc... to be on another partition, and then have the rest of the drive in NTFS. Is there a certain order that the drive needs to be partitioned? I use USB Loader GX currently with a WBFS drive. If I switch, will it still be able to rip games to a FAT32 partition? Thanks!

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that pretty much answers all my questions. I picked out a new drive for my Wii games, but my wife won't let me have it til Christmas. I was just planning on using wii backup manager to transfer them all over.

Also, are the SNES emus able to load files without extensions? I'm asking this because I've already got a copy of all my SNES roms, that I went through and trimmed the extension off the end. I had to do this 'cause the emulator on my xbox wouldn't read some of the roms, even though they were working rom files (and then read them after I trimmed the "invalid" extension off the end). Plus, they're neater without the extension names.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
claudekennilol said:
I think that pretty much answers all my questions. I picked out a new drive for my Wii games, but my wife won't let me have it til Christmas. I was just planning on using wii backup manager to transfer them all over.

Also, are the SNES emus able to load files without extensions? I'm asking this because I've already got a copy of all my SNES roms, that I went through and trimmed the extension off the end. I had to do this 'cause the emulator on my xbox wouldn't read some of the roms, even though they were working rom files (and then read them after I trimmed the "invalid" extension off the end). Plus, they're neater without the extension names.

I dont know about the wii emu's and no extensions you will have to test and let us all know. The xbox can/will play .zip files, Which you should use for your wii as well it saves almost 2x the space, I personally use both those for my xbox and wii alike, the wii auto filters out the extension, the xbox does filter them as well if your using the newest/best emulator - xport and now madmab editions

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
claudekennilol said:

With the roms on the xbox, there is a 42-Character limit with filenames on the FATX filesystem (filesystem the xbox uses), that may have been you problem, or that the emulator wouldn't open some of the less used snes rom extensions since there is a few. I can't remember, been awhile since i used my xbox/emulators on there.

Use the GOODSNES tool which can be found on THIS page to simply restore the filenames for the snes roms if you want/need to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1