Watch what you click. :creep:

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rydian, Mar 27, 2011.

Mar 27, 2011
  1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I'm fed up by installers tricking people into installing shit they don't need or want, and even adware. I didn't think it was that bad until I got this new computer and started installing a bunch of programs and saw just how many of them tried to get me to install shit.

So I decided to record a bunch of program installations and show people how to avoid common tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBMuxGZQb5M

It's in HD (so you can read the screen text) and uses annotations, thus a link instead of a huge embed.

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Good one Rydian.
    Ive only recently got tricked by some "Fix 'page not found error'" ad thingie.

I was installing HotSpotShield, which makes it possible to privately surf the web, and also to play online games at college [​IMG]
    Anyway, since it was some sort of VPN/Proxy software, I thought it was just some extra functionality of the software.

And now I got awfull adware that redirects me to www.search-engine.com or something when a page, whatever page, has something like "not found" on it. [​IMG]

3. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Yeah, that's a common one nowadays, and the sucky thing is there's like five different ways they can do it so removing it's a bitch, and since you agreed to install it many virus/spyware scanners won't remove it since it's legal. Try turning on the option to scan for PUPs (Potentially-Unwanted Programs) in whatever scanner you use, if it has one.

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    The media player I use, Zoom Player, is coming out with a new edition (normally I obtain it through other means like the scallywag I am) which now offers DVD play back in the free version so I decided to give it a go... it also tries to install toolbar crap. Funny part is Avira detects it as adware (not sure if I should consider it as a false positive or not...).
    Same with Trillian [​IMG]

I GOT TOOLBARS ON MY TOOLBARS!

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've noticed the majority of free apps have some kind of toolbar in the installation process. I guess they have to make money somehow.

6. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I often sort out family/friends computers when they become unbearably slow/crash constantly, and the amount of crap i find on them sometimes is unbelievable.

It seems less computer savy users simply keep clicking next when installing the random things they've downloaded from the internet and the get all kinds of "helpful" search toolbars/adverts/webpage redirects/homepages ¬_¬

And some can be a real pain in the backside to remove, despite how easy it was to install with a single checkbox [​IMG]

7. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i've come across those .
    they always ask for something extra to install though that's probably their income of money .
    to avoid it , i simply wait it out , or close the box since sometimes it isn't really necessary .

i avoid toolbars and such since they don't look appealing and are really unnecessary . when i go to a friend's house and then use their computer , i see not just a toolbar , but at least 3 . i don't even think they read things when they install . . . they probably just express install things and just keep on clicking next, next, next, install :\

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    OpenCandy? It's adware pretending really hard to not be adware, but some AV programs still pick it up.

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Search Tool Bar powered by Bing
    Bing home page
    Bing default search

You're presented with an install option, Quick Install or Custom Install.
    Even with Custom you have to uncheck the boxes.

10. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    I remember when I installed IOBits GameBooster and it suddenly installed tons of other IOBit crap, which I was unable to remove.
    Ironically, this unremovable thing was PC protection software, IIRC.

11. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Nice video! I never thought that it was really hard but now that I think of it, it may indeed be useful for some people.

12. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I always make sure I uncheck stuff like this anyway, though I usually go straight for the checkbox rather than trying to click the text.