Gaming Was LoZ: Breath of the Wild made for Wii U first?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have so many questions about this game's development I don't know where to start.

We've all seen the game being played long ahead of time but has it been on the Wii U the whole time? It wasn't until near the end of 2016 and 2017 that we've seen the game on the Switch but after that point was the Switch version more of a priority to make it work while the Wii U version was put on the back burner? I honestly had doubts the Wii U version was being made at all with all the attention focused on the Switch.

Another thing I wanted to ask and I'm not sure anyone else is wondering this is what both versions will offer differently from each other. Will this be like LoZ: Twilight Princess where the GameCube version was the system it was built for and the Wii version was just a port with motion controls. I already own a Wii U and soon to own a Switch too so it would be nice to know the differences so I can make an informative purchase accordingly.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody can say for sure how long the Switch version has been in development of course, but I'd say it's probably longer than most would think... The engine is the key here, it seems Nin have spent a lot of time and effort on it, and have already mentioned that other games will be using it too. Once that was ported over to the Switch it's pretty safe to assume whatever was already put into the game went over pretty quickly afterwards, and the rest of development will have been placed into both versions at the same time.

As for differences, I don't think it'll be as drastic as the mirror effect we got in Twilight Princess: I can see the extra screen of the Wii U gamepad offering its own advantages there, but then every video I've seen of that version seems to struggle a bit in the framerate department, and looks much smoother on Switch... I suspect this'll be the case in the final build, the extra power of the Switch giving us the smoother running game... being able to play it on the go also speaks for itself..

I'll be buying the Switch version ....might *cough* 'evaluate' the Wii U version instead :blush:

Reactions: thorasgar

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Real Talk: is it even fair that they are doing comparation videos between Wii U and Switch using E3 footage for the Wii U and Close to launch footage for the Switch?

And yeah usually the builds developers use on pre release events are more often enough earlier builds of the game. A good example would be Metal Gear Solid V, there were some pre release events going on a month before launch which looked like the final retail version, but people were complaining about some performance issues, and once the game was released people noticed how much better it ran comparing with what they played a month ago. So yeah both the Wii U version and the Switch version will run much better than we have seen them run before.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
anyway, i think i read confirmation zelda breath of wind was canceled for wii u?
and actually, this is a dark strategy but it can work.
which is saying no there will be no wii u version because we want to force you to buy a switch...

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
anyway, i think i read confirmation zelda breath of wind was canceled for wii u?
which is saying no there will be no wii u version because we want to force you to buy a switch...
Why would they shown Wii U and Switch on the presentation trailer just for cancel it 2 days after showing said trailer and release date?

ScienceBETCH

GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero™ Main
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
You probably saw it from a post in here and it was confirmed that the cancellation is NOT real

Reactions: migles

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got the wii u version preordered with amazon. But, IF they remove gamepad touchscreen support (of the kind they included for wind waker, twilight princess), to make the wii u version "equal" with the switch (i.e. downgraded to appease switch buyers)...well I am gonna be really pissed and may go on a piracy binge against nintendo.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
being ported over from the Wii U version to the switch would make sense for the lack of optimizations to run at 1080p 60FPS, I even would have been happy with 1080p 30FPS over 900p 30FPS.
of course the switch version will look better than the Wii U version from running at 900p vs 720p (portable mode will still be 720p) along with lighting, sound, and some graphical settings turned up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: old men discussion